Tandem

Chapter 13

Estelle

"How are we going to do this?" I ask Liomi, my long time friend, as we walk back to Wænder. Wænder is our home. The society our people built. It's built with an enormous building in the middle, with the smaller villager homes surrounding it. The fields are just beyond that, and the water just a bit closer than the fields.

"I'm not sure. Are you sure he's the right one?" Liomi asks.

"I'm positive. No other has ever acted that way, so, diversely."

Liomi nods her head. "Good luck tonight. Be safe."

"I will, I always am," I tell her.

Sadly, we don't have time to talk anymore. Liomi helps with Heath and has to care for the other 2 jumpers injuries and prepare them for evaluation.

I on the other hand have to go tell the missionary leaders about the 3rd jumper. This will be exciting and amazing news for them.

The sun is fully up now, and I can clearly see our society. Húrrét, the main building, is huge in the light. It looks like a mismatched array of smaller villager huts stacked up high above the surrounding homes.

Our homes are simple mud, clay, grass, and wood huts, with grass or mud roofs. Each has a short, mud wall surrounding it for territory reasons. Beyond the villager homes is the river, which surrounds us in a circle. It's fed water by a stream connected to the mountain lake. Beyond the water is the fields, small and large patches with corn, wheat, soy, rice, sugar cane, beans, pumkins, etc.

We live a simple and happy life here. Perhaps that's why tandem hates us. They loathe us. They crave to have a similar simple society. But they choose to try to outdo us and excell. That's where they've made a mistake. They've replaced all their emotions and feelings with illusions fueled by lies and drugs. Their civilization was always different, but it used to be advanced, not anti-human. Recently word has spread to earth about tandems systematic rules and guidelines failing. Resources are scarce and the medicines are failing to eliminate the human desires from the minds of the inhabitants.