𝔦𝔦𝔦. THE SOLDIER & THE TARGET

𝐎𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐔𝐏𝐎𝐍 𝐀 𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑━━━━━━━━ 𝟏𝟗𝟔𝟎

━━━━━━━━ 𝟏𝟗𝟔𝟎.
𝐈𝐈𝐈. THE SOLDIER & THE TARGET

     THERE WAS BLOOD EVERYWHERE

Her pale hands were still tightly clamped over her ears, teary eyes frozen wide on the blood spreading and staining her worn holey shoes. She looked prepared to start hyperventilating, or perhaps start screaming.

"Tikhiy." The soldier's voice was like gravel, coarse and threatening, "Tishina." Quiet. Silence.

The target jumped, choking back a cry as if she had forgotten he was there.

He stared back blankly, "Ponyal?" Understand?

She slowly nodded, hands beginning to lower, now staring at the sniper rifle in his grip.

"Nam nuzhno idti." We have to go.

She blinked harder, and in the dim flickering street lights, she could now truly see him for what he was. He was terrifying, dark and covered in blood that was not his. Eyes even more hollow than her own.

"U menya net deneg. Nikakoy narkotik." Her voice cracked and her bottom lip trembled, "Eto to, chego ty khochesh'?" I have no money. No drugs. Is that what you want?

"Net. Teper' priyti. My dolzhny eto sdelat'—," No. Now, come. We have to,

She interrupted suddenly, accent thick and eyes watery, "I speak English."

The soldier stared at her. He wasn't used to talking this much, but for some reason, he felt the strangest urge to reassure the target. Convince her that he wasn't here to cause her harm. At least, not yet, not until ordered to do so.

"I am not here to hurt you. I will protect you. That is why I am here." The English felt strange on his tongue, like something rusted he was dredging up from within the depths of himself, "Now, come."