Chapter 3: New Girl

You know when people tell you that without school you'd be completely lost and have no friends? Yeah, well, I feel that way even in school, and Trevor Bingham, a jock from the football team proved that today. I was walking down the hall minding my own business  with my hood over my head, covering my face to everyone else when it happened. I flew a fourth of the way across the school hallway, smashing my fragile and pathetic face into a row of lockers. This knocked down quite a few people seeing as how there were people actually standing at their lockers. Much like this morning, I flopped to the ground, but this time was different, this time I was light-headed and dizzy. All I could feel was the pounding, pulsating surges of pain on either side of my head as if someone had smashed my head into a door. I tried to push myself back up to my feet, but someone held my head down onto the nasty school flooring. I turned my head and noticed who it was. Trevor. I wanted so bad just to throw him over my shoulder and humiliate him in front of everyone, but this was not such a good idea because I knew that if I did such a thing my life would become hell on Earth. All I could do was sit there, and so I did, enduring all of the physical torment that he could force upon me at that moment in time. Once he walked away, I stood up and dusted myself off. However, I was still turned around from that first strike sending me through the air and into the lockers. When I tried to walk forward, I immediately stumbled on my own foot. Noticing how nauseated I had become from that interaction with the aggressive football player, I slowly started sinking to the floor, running my back down the wall as I fell. I stayed there until someone I didn't recognize showed up and leaned over top of me, leaving me in his shadow. He stuck out his hand to signal that he was trying to help me up. I grabbed hold of his hand and pulled myself to my feet. That's when I got a clear look of her face. This person wasn't a boy at all, I had just been too distracted by the fact that someone was actually trying to help me for a change.

"What are you looking at?" She demanded with authority 

It wasn't until then that I realized I had been staring at her the whole time without even blinking. I was too in awe and shock to give any sort of response to her. She was the most beautiful human I had ever laid eyes upon.

"Umm, sorry. I just totally spaced what you just said," I explained in all honesty. After all I had been too distracted by how adorable she looked.

"Haha, that's alright. Just pretend that I didn't say anything. I'm Layla. . . and you are?" She said almost too smoothly like she had planned the whole thing out in her head.

"Unimportant," I grumbled throwing my hood back over my head.

"Well, no one has to be everyone, but everyone has to be someone!"

The way she said it was more cheerful and uplifting then I'd ever thought possible. Not only was she pretty, but also happy, but I barely even knew her.

"Ugh. . . fine," I sighed, "I'm Jared, Jared Bateman."

"Well, Jared," she said emphasizing my name, "Which class are we supposed to be in right now?

"Ha, follow me," I requested, turning my back to her.