Chapter 5: Socializing

Since I've gone to this school, I have sort of made a reputation for myself in being the small, quiet little child that means nothing to everyone. This is slowly but steadily changing as I'm beginning to speak to Layla more and more. Just the other day I was introduced to her friends Charlie, Jason (who goes by Jack), Summer, and Karin. Charlie and Jason do almost everything together. The same thing with Summer and Karin. Charlie and Summer are dating, and Jason and Karin just flirt a little here and there, too nervous to do anything serious. Karin is Trevor's sister which is especially difficult for Jason because, well. . . you can imagine.

Soon enough, all of these people will become family and it will be second nature to socialize with them, but not now. Right now I'm still having a hard time pushing myself out of the shadows. It's like trying to see out of foggy, smudged glasses,  everything seems too unclear and hard to understand. Sometimes I still try to force myself out of everyone's radar for who is a real human. I am trying, with all of my strength to bring myself out of the darkness and to my Layla. I took one of my first largest leaps toward this brightness today.

It started when Jason asked Layla, Karin, and Charlie if they would want to do anything during the weekend with him.

"Yeah, that'd be great if we could all do something together as a final 'goodbye' before the school year ended," added Charlie.

"Sounds like a plan," Karin enthusiastically stated, clinging to Jason's twig of an arm.

During all of this happiness among friends, I sort of stayed out of their way, avoiding any potentially risky-to-add comments. After all, I did not want to ruin any of my brand new relationships with anyone. Period. This dead silence ended when Layla approached me and asked me if she would like to join them.  

"No, no. That's okay," I told her.

"I insist, come on. You've got to come, Jared," she said with just a hint of aggression.

"Okay, okay, but I need to know where we're going and when," I demanded.

This made Layla break out into the best smile I had ever seen. This made me love her more. Her enthusiasm and excitement about everything made her a truly amazing person to even just look at. The only problem was that I have no idea how she feels about me. At that second she wrapped my arms around me, making me feel like the most special boy ever. The hug was long and heartfelt. I was so tall compared to her that I could rest my chin on the top of her head. It made me so warm inside being this close to someone as beautiful as her. After around 20 seconds of embracing her, she let me go and began making plans with the others. I wasn't even listening to anything they were saying, just reminiscing over the hug that I wish could have lasted just a little longer. It was over.