Chapter 4: Emptiness

I ended up spending a lot of time with this new Layla girl. The hours turned into days, days into weeks, and so on. Soon enough, the first day my eyes met her beautiful face felt like the distant past. Truly it wasn't, time only feels as if it goes by fast when I'm with her. I never knew that I could feel this way about anyone again. Ever. This was the first time I had real feelings for anyone since. . . her. I'm not going to go into any great detail about this, but I was once dating a girl. She was the best thing that had happened to me for my whole life. That's when she left me. I was all alone for years, until now. This was partially because anyone that would try to talk to me would immediately get shut out. I had been this numb creature since the beginning of my freshman year of high school. At this point in life, I'm almost at the end of my Junior year. Close to 3 years had past of complete nothingness. I didn't do school work, socialize, or even talk to my family. I'd go to school late, come home, and, even though it would only be about four o'clock, I'd sleep. This was all over now. Sort of.

I love her, and I know that, but I can't help but miss the safety of the emptiness. The complete absence of feeling. This way I couldn't get hurt by anything besides physical torment, but I had developed tolerance to the pain due to Trevor's daily boxing routine. This was a perfect way of living because I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all and Trevor was giving me exactly what I had hoped for. At times that felt too empty, I'd find Trevor and almost force him to give me a beating.

Layla told me that I can't keep living this way, and I agreed with her. From now on there will be no more self torment.