Chapter 6: Texting

I'm surprisingly enjoying life right now. I didn't think it was possible for someone like me, but here I am living my life like any regular person. I even started talking to my friends after school. Friends. A word I never thought could possibly come out of my mouth. I know that the only thing that's making me happy in life is them, but sometimes I think that maybe, just maybe, I actually have it good. Comparing myself to druggies, alcoholics, homeless people, and more, I sometimes think that life just isn't that bad. The only thing that scares me now is losing the people I care about. I don't want to fall back in to my same old habits of excluding myself from the world. Not anymore.

When I got home from school that day I ran into my room, hoping my mom wouldn't see me and start harassing me with three million questions that I don't want to answer. I feel like parents do that too much. They force their children to answer dumb things that they clearly don't want to respond to. Anyway, when I got into my room, I threw my school bag and text books onto the floor, hopped onto my bed, and opened my phone hoping someone had texted me. No messages. I thought of how I would approach a normal conversation beginning with a casual "Hey!" While waiting for a response I checked a well known website called Wattbook to see if any of my friends had written any more in their stories. Then Instagram to see who had updated their account. After a while I was beginning to get a little bit anxious. I texted again, saying "Anyone alive?" After another 3 minutes, I finally heard a small 'Bing' come from my phone. I picked it up to find that Charlie had replied with "nope." This confused me seeing as how he was usually the happiest person you would ever meet, but I didn't bother to ask.

"So. . . are you coming to my place on Friday?" he typed.

"Definitely. I can't miss an opportunity like that," I replied, content.

"An opportunity for what?" he asked.

I didn't respond. Instead I just stared at that text debating whether I should tell him the truth or not.

"Haha, it's okay. I know you have it for Layla," he said.

This confused me. I thought no one knew anything about that but me.

"Umm. . . how do you know about that?" I asked, very confused.

"Are you serious? It's so obvious. I recognized the way you look at her immediately. It's the very same way I look at Summer," he explained.

"Oh, well, does anyone else know?" I asked.

"I mean no one DID know, but I just realized that we texted all of this on the group chat, so. . ."

This made me furious, but at the same time happy. I'm glad that Layla could figure out, but this is not the way I intended for her to know. I was going to directly explain that to her because, honestly, I think any other way is just kind of stupid. If you feel something about someone, tell them. Always be direct. That's one thing my father taught me when he was still around.

"Oh, eh, that's okay," I said, "I'm actually glad everyone found out." I explained.

"Well, I'm glad you're coming. I have a fake ID, too so we can get beer," he said, excited.

"Really," I said "Me too. I love the feeling of a cold one flowing smoothly down my throat!" I told him.

"Alright, cool. See you there Jared!"