Part 8

I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I peek my head out and am approached by Kilowag. "Where are we?" He powers up his ring while saying, "The other side of Oa. We have to get you to Earth. I know somewhere you can stay while I get this cleared up." He starts flying and I bark back, "What do you mean cleared up? I think it's pretty clear what just happened. The Sapphires are after me." We reach Earth's atmosphere when he responds, "Yes, but why?" I shrug. "Exactly. That's why I'm taking you out of their reach for as long as possible." We fly over a city I'm unfamiliar with. I decide not to bother him with any more questions and hope I get my answer when we reach our destination. He approaches a small house and steps aside, "Deactivate your suit. We don't want to expose your identity." I do as he asks and he continues, "Knock and ask for Hal." I look at him confused and knock. When the door opens, a tall young man, approximately two to three years older than me, looks down at me. I fake a smile, wave and say, "Is Hal here?" He scans me up and down and replies, "May I ask who wants to know?" I extend my hand, "Alana Hart. No, not like the organ, there's no E." I roll my eyes as he smiles and shakes my hand, "Hunter Jordan."

Over his shoulder, a man in maybe his mid-forties makes his way to the door, "Hi, you must be Hal. I'm Alana, and I have an emergency." I glance over at Kilowag who's motioning for him to come outside. Hunter attempts to look at what drew my gaze, but I pretend to trip and fall into his arms. He easily caught me and I catch a whiff of his cologne, "Versace?" He squints and answers, "No...." I snapped my fingers and say, "I'm still working on that." He raises his eyebrows, "Identifying men's cologne brands?" Hal finally notices Kilowag standing outside and I continue distracting Hunter, "Everyone has a weird hobby." I subtly push him farther in the house as Hal steps out, "Like, my friend used to love collecting the stuffing in stuffed animals." He looks away in discomfort and I fix it, "Used to. Now she collects snake scales." He laughs as he finally realizes I'm joking and I use every muscle in my face to not roll my eyes.

Hal comes back inside and shuts the door behind him. Out the window, I see Kilowag's green light fly off. "I think you're going to have to stay here for a while," Hal says stepping in front of me. "I figured," I say nodding. "There's a spare room upstairs," he looks at Hunter, "Would you show her to Haley's old room?" He nods and I follow him up the stairs. He opens the door to a mostly empty room. The only thing I could find was a mattress on the floor, "I think you over decorated." He laughs as he hands me a pillow and blanket, "Sorry my list of weird hobbies doesn't include decorating unused rooms." I smirk back, "Are you telling me you're so unfriendly that you never have guests?" I fake a shocked face and continue, "I don't believe it." He shakes his head smiling, "Sleep tight, motormouth." I plop down onto the bed, "Night, Versace." The door shuts and I hear a draining voice outside, "It's not Versace!" I giggle as I undress down to my bra and panties, roll over and easily fall asleep.

I wake up to light hitting my face. I look to see the uncovered window. This is why you need curtains. I groan and climb out of bed. I put my clothes back on and head downstairs. I head to the kitchen where Hunter is standing over the stove. I sniff him and whisper, "Armani?" He looks up, frustrated with a smile, "More like waffles." I look at the breakfast, "You can cook?" He shrugs, "I hope so." I giggle and ask, "Where's Hal?" He flips the waffle maker and responds, "Ferris." I look to the side, "Yeah...let's pretend I don't know what that is." He chuckles, "Ferris Air, it's where we work." He sets two waffles on two plates. "We?" I ask. He nods, "Yeah, I'm off today, so it's my job to make sure you are safe." I cock an eyebrow as he hands me a plate, "You think I need your protection?" He shakes his head, "It's not me that thinks that. Butter or syrup?" I shake my head and eat my waffle. I hear a car park outside the house, "So you do get guests?" He follows my gaze to two men walking up to the door. His eyes widen as he rushes to me and covers my mouth. He pulls us to the floor as he says, "Stay quiet." I obey his order and remain quiet until the men leave. He removes his hand and I ask, "Am I being kidnapped?" Hunter laughs as he returns to his seat.

"Wanna tell me what that was all about?" I ask, also returning to my chair. "It's a long story," he answers, shaking his head. "I have a lot a time," I pry. After a sigh, he finally gives in, "They're just some guys that aren't very happy that we're behind on payments." I feel like shit for making fun of the guest room now that I know they're poor. "Thanks for breakfast," I say, breaking the silence. He nods, "Yeah, no problem." His phone rings on the table and he answers, "Hal?" After a few seconds he continues, "Yeah, we'll be right over." He hangs up and looks at me, "Hal needs me to take you to Ferris." He stands up. "Why?" I ask, gathering the dishes. "Who knows?" he asks, shrugging. I followed him outside to an old suburban.