Chapter Two: The Tutor

When she got home from school the next day, her mother had announced that she had found Zoey a tutor.

       "His name is James White. He's a freshman at Arcata High School. And he's fifteen, just three years older than you," her mother explained. "He'll be here Tuesday at three for your first study session."

       It was only Friday, meaning she had three more days until meeting this stranger her mom had asked to tutor her, and it was a boy. Zoey always got nervous around boys. With every day she got more and more nervous.

       When Tuesday finally came around, she was dreading James being there with every fiber of her being. She just knew she would make a fool of herself somehow. As three o'clock arrived she sat in her study glancing at the clock every few seconds. Five minutes. Now four, three, two, one. She heard the doorbell and straightened in her chair. He was here. Her mother escorted him into the study and she saw that he was tall and muscular, with short brown hair and blue eyes. He was handsome. Her stomach lurched.

       "Hi there, I'm James," he said smiling. She saw him take in her tan skin, her freckles, her average height, and her hair before meeting her hazel eyes.

       "Zoey," she offered shyly.

       They sat down at the desk and he started explaining her math homework to her. By five o'clock, they had become slightly more than acquaintances. She hoped it would be the start of a great friendship. Or any sort of friendship, at least.

       Wednesday morning, she found herself counting down the hours until her next study session with James. Since they didn't go to the same school, it was the only time they could hangout, talk, laugh, any of that. Not that they talked much. James did most of the talking and it was generally centered on math. If only she was brave enough to change that on her own.

       "Someday, I will..." she muttered to herself, lost in a daydream. However, that day seemed very, very far away.

       Thursday finally came and as she sat in the study waiting for James, Pitch, her beloved black lab, put his head in her lap. His dark fur reflected the sunlight shining through the window as he looked up at her with his green puppy dog eyes.

       "I can do this. I can talk to him; start a conversation with that doesn't involve math... Who am I kidding; he probably wouldn't want to talk to me. The only reason he does now is because my mom and Henry are paying him to teach me math. I'm a loser. He wouldn't be interested in a loser like me for a friend..."

       The doorbell rang, just on time as usual. And a moment later James entered the study, smiling.

       "Hey Zoey. Ready to get started?" James asked, cheerfully.

       Zoey took a deep breath and took a chance.

       "Do you actually like math? Or do you just pretend to in some attempt to make me feel better about you tutoring me? Because honestly if that's what it is then don't bother. I have no interest in math."

       James looked at her thoughtfully.

       "Neither," he admitted. "I smile because I like being friendly. And you seem nice."

       "Nice? Yeah right. I'm a loser. Just say it. Its okay, I've accepted it," she said glumly.

       "A loser? Who says you're a loser?" he questioned.

       "No one has to. I don't have any friends. People whisper about me as I walk by. I don't need anyone to tell me that I am. I just am..."

       "Zoey, you're not a loser. Do you think I would be happy about going to a 'loser's' house twice a week? I enjoy tutoring you Zoey. I like talking to you. You're nice. I want to be your friend, Zoey," he replied shyly.

       "You do? Really?" she asked, hope shining upon her face.

       "Yeah, really," he replied, ruffling his hair with his hand, a nervous habit of his.

       She blushed and they returned to studying to avoid further awkwardness. At the end of the study session they exchanged phone numbers.