Chapter Thirteen: The Hospital Visit

"Your mom is fine. A few bruises, some fractured ribs, and some stitches, nothing to worry too much about. She should heal no problem," the doctor assured Zoey.

She let out a sigh. "Thank you, doctor."

"Just make sure she gets plenty of rest for a few days."

"Of course."

He nodded and walked down the hall, leaving her standing alone outside the door to her mom's hospital room. She could see her mom deep in a peaceful sleep through the window. She could see the bruises on her moms arms and face, and the stitches on her forehead. The door was the only thing separating her from all of it; all the overwhelming emotions: guilt, fear, anger, and everything else that was just barely contained within her.

After a long moment of hesitation, she swung open the door and stepped inside.

She slowly walked over to the side of the bed and held her moms hand before bursting into tears.

"I'm so sorry mom... I should've stood up to him.. I should've called 911 sooner..." She choked out. "I should've done something.."

Her mom stirred as she sobbed uncontrollably. But she didn't notice until her moms hand began caressing her hair comfortingly. She gasped and looked up.

Her mother smiled weakly. "Don't worry sweetie, I'm okay. We're going to be okay. It's not your fault. You were very brave."

Zoey couldn't say anything as tears flowed down her cheeks. She had never truly understood how much he put her mom through until that day.

"I love you mom."

"I love you too Zoey, so very much."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(A/N) Omg you guys, I am so sorry that I took so long to update. And I'm sorry for such a short chapter. I've been going through stuff and kept forgetting to work on chapters. So anyway, hope you guys are liking the story. Any feedback or suggestions are more than welcome. Try not to be too hard on me since this is my first story.

Thanks so much for reading! I love you guys! ❤️❤️❤️