Chapter Seven: Henry Finds Out

A few minutes later Henry came home. Zoey held her breath. Her mind reeled with questions. Had he found out? What would happen if he did? Would he try to hurt her? Could she tell James if he did? The school year was almost over and her grades were already improving. Her failing grade had become a C in the few weeks she had been studying with James. Surely they wouldn't fire him and let her grade fall back again. Would they? She examined his expression; he didnt look particularly happy but rage had yet to consume his face. 

        She didnt speak. She didnt move. Anything could set him off. She only hoped her fear didnt show on her face. He looked in her direction and scowled. Here it comes, she grimaced. He stormed across the hall towards her, stopping only when he towered high above her head, and growled down at her. 

       "Failing a class, are you?" 

       "Not anymore," she said carefully. 

       "Oh is that so? Then what's this?" he snarled holding uo her old progress report. 

       "That's from third quarter. I've been studying with my tutor and my grade has improved to a high C and is still improving," she said matter-of-factly. 

        "Tutor? What's this about a tutor? I'm not paying for a tutor." 

        "Talk to Mom then. A tutor was her idea." Zoey regretted the words the second they left her lips. So this was why she hadn't told him. Then she got angry. She had really needed a tutor and she would've failed second semester all together without James. Her mother had done her a favor and didn't deserve this crap from him. 

         "She was looking out for my future. But obviouslly you don't care. I hope she leaves you after you scream at her, for allowing her daughter to get help to get her grades up. You're not my father, so don't try to act like it!" she added, glaring at him. 

         "How dare you speak to me that way! Go to your room!" 

        "Fine!" She stormed up the stairs and slammed her door behind her.