Chapter Ten: The Talk With Mom

The next day, there was no school, so she stayed in her room until Henry was long gone. Then she went downstairs and her mom made her some breakfast, as was their usual routine. But today, something was different. It would be almost undetectable to anyone else. But the tension in the air was almost tangible. They both kept quiet until Zoey's plate was set in front of her. Then she spoke.

"Mom, I'm sorry."

"For what sweetie?" her mom said, smiling. But the smile didn't reach her eyes.

"For Henry yelling at you. It was my fault. I just got so angry. I didn't realize what I'd said until after it was too late to take it back." Zoey admitted, looking down at her plate, frowning at her actions.

"It's not your fault. It's mine. I hired him, not you. It was my idea. You didn't even like the idea at first. You can't be blamed for my actions," she replied, sighing and sitting in the chair opposite Zoey. "You didn't deserve him yelling at you like that. I'm sorry."

"Mom..." Zoey started, carefully.

"Yes?"

"Why do you let him treat us like this? Treat you like this? Why dont you just tell him off and either leave or make him leave?"

She hesitated. "Its... not that simple.. I wish I could explain it to you but its just.. too complicated. I'm sorry sweetie."

Zoey simply nodded and having finished her breakfast, she got up, hugged her mother, and went back up to her room. When she got up there she texted James and told him about the conversation.

He replied telling her that her mom was probably just dealing with things and would tell me later when she got everything straight. Zoey sighed and let it go for the time being.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey guys, thank you so much for reading so far. Sorry this chapter is so short. I'll make the next one longer.

Please Like, Vote, and Comment, I absolutely love those.

Thank you all for the support. Hope you're all enjoying my first story.

~Tiana