Chapter 5: Twist of Fate

Isaac Nox was a bright inventor, despite the methods he may have used to get there. He only had one goal in life, and that was to become the greatest, most successful inventor in the world. It didn't matter what method he'd use. Lie, cheat, steal, you name it, Isaac Nox would do everything and anything to achieve his goal.

He didn't care what methods he had to use, just as long as people gave him money in the end. For the past few years, inventors had to get sponsors to gain freedom to do anything. When this happened, Isaac knew how important it was to show that he was the best. People would want to fund only the best. He knew that. Anyone could fund him, and he wouldn't care.

It was that careless action that he invented for a sketchy organization a few months ago. The pay was nice as he had received more from them than any of his previous sponsors. All he had to do was invent and play a small little trick on a particular group of people.

Isaac didn't think of the consequences. If he'd known working for them would ended him losing trust in all his other sponsors, forcing Isaac to start over once again, he wouldn't have done it. People seemed to have found out he worked for Team Oblivion, inventing technology for them that should've never seen the light of day.

The inventor did the only thing he could think of; he started over again. He ran door to door, trying to find work. Every time he would try, the people reacted the same way. They'd shoo him away, wishing him ill fortune.

It came to a point in time where there was only one person he could turn to. He looked up at the building, feeling a wave of guilt. Isaac wasn't going to lie to himself anymore because he knew what he did was wrong. Going to seek this inventor for help was going to be a long-shot. Still, he had to do something to get by.

After waiting a few minutes after ringing the doorbell, the door opened to reveal a blue haired woman in a business suit. The outfit she wore wasn't ideal for inventing, especially since it could get dirty with oils and old rust from the tools that were used. That didn't seem to be a problem for her, as she wiped her hands with an old rag.

When she raised her blue eyes to look into Isaac's green ones, her nose scrunched in disgust. Isaac didn't need her to say a word to know what was about to happen.

"What in the Distortion World are you doing here, you son of a bitch?" Rena Rhea seethed.

Her hands tightened on that rag, causing Isaac to flinch. He would have to watch his words for once if he wanted to get a job. Getting hurt, well, Isaac knew there was no hope in him leaving the place without a few bruises or a possible broken bone. All of which, he knew he deserved, whether he liked that or not.

"I wanted to apologize," Isaac forced himself to say. "I just heard the news of what happened during the Castelia City Crisis."

"So what? Now you decide to come and apologize? It's been four months," Rena hissed. "I don't need your sympathy when it's your fault."

Isaac flinched at her words, waiting for the twenty-five year old to hurt him in some way. When none of that happened, the man drew in a deep breath.

"Team Oblivion locked me up in the building during that time," he explained. "I only got out because the International Police came in and were investigating the building and to arrest any stray member."

"And you didn't get arrested?" Rena's voice raised a bit. "Tauros shit!"

The older inventor shrugged. "They believed my side of the story, but no one else did. I didn't watch any t.v. because I was trying to gain sponsors again to rebuild my company. I didn't care what was going to change, so I started to do some research on what happened that day. I wanted to come sooner when I heard what happened to Ru—"