10. Feels Like Home

Early that Monday morning they had set off, and now they were squeezed into Mason's car, Mason driving with Corey beside him. And Nolan squeezed between Theo and Liam, both apparently more interested in what was outside their respective windows rather than in conversation. Nolan looked from one to the other, then crossed Mason's through the review mirror. Mason shrugged, as if to say he did not know what's up with them.

Nolan cleared his throat "So, Theo ... how was your first prom?" He asked hesitantly, wanting to fill the silence at all costs.

Theo winced, evidently coming out of his thoughts, and turned to Nolan. "Um ... it was not that bad," he said unconvinced.

"Your date seemed good, that's- nice, actually-"

"I guess so," Theo answered, frowning. He did not understand where he was his point.

"And will you text him?"

"Should I?" He asked in confusion.

"Come on," Nolan snickered mischievously "Liam told us you did not go back to sleep at home that night"

At those words Theo opened his eyes wide and Liam came out of his trance, turning to look at Nolan with wide eyes.

It was true that he had not gone back home, but actually he had just been sleeping a few hours in the truck before returning, he did not want to admit that he did it just because he was afraid to find Hayden at home with Liam. He could not bear it. He knew that sooner or later it would happen now that he knew she and Liam were back together, but that did not make it any easier. In any case, the assumption they had just made, for some reason, had got him upset.

"Yeah, right, it was a lot of fun actually," he exclaimed sourly, to which Liam paled, his heart beating faster. "But maybe Liam should learn to mind his own business, I surely do not meddle in what he does with Hayden" That came out rougher than he meaned.

Liam's eyes widened. Corey and Mason exchanged a troubled look, while Nolan was not understanding anything anymore. "Because there's nothing 'to meddle in' about me and Hayden," Liam mumbled, blushing.

"Yeah right" Theo said with a sneer "I forgot that you two like to do your own stuff where everyone can openly see you"

Liam stood looking at him with a slightly open mouth, very confused. Did Theo think he and Hayden were back together? Even if he did, what was his problem? He had spent the night with that cheap barman! Liam was about to tell him that Hayden had just came back home for Christmas break with her sister, that he had invited her to prom just to give her a pleasant evening with all her old friends, but the words died in his throat, and they turned in a weak growl. "Fuck you, Theo"

Theo growled in response, and Nolan stared wide as the two sharing killer looks from side to side. "Masoon, how much longer ?!"

Corey looked at the navigator. "4 hours and 37 minutes" he then announced

"Help"

*

Theo did not want to argue with Liam, but apparently had just found out that the irritability was part of the package 'have unilateral not-platonic feelings for your taken friend-roommate'. Theo was beginning to understand why Liam was always angry. Having feelings sucked.

He stayed silent all the way in the car, did not even go down when they made a stop for bathroom and to eat something. He stayed wallowing in self pity in the car, as soon as Liam came out slamming the door violently behind him, with the frustration and anger that came out in waves from him. Theo sighed. It would have been a long week.

*

They had to leave the car downstream, and go up with the cable car. It was obligatory, Nolan had said, so they lined up with bags and suitcases to buy a ticket. "No more than three in the cabin," the man behind the counter warned them, barely looking at them. Theo took the ticket and headed for the nearest one, and Liam behind him immediately pointed to the one on the left. Corey did not miss to notice the hurt expression on Theo's face and sighed "I'm going with Theo," he told Mason. "And I'm going with Liam," Mason said disconsolately. "And me?" Nolan exclaimed. Corey chuckled, pulling him by the arm "Come on"