13. Lifesaver

Just that morning Liam allowed himself to think that things were going surprisingly well. No trouble in sight, no supernatural threat, no news about Monroe for months. They were enjoying a pleasant trip. They were enjoying life. But apparently fate had a dark sense of humor.

The same evening, the fifth day of the trip, they were all blissfully in front of the TV, to instruct Theo on popular culture of what he was obviously lacking, surrounded by pizzas, drinks and various junk food.

"So I'm practically Voldemort," Theo muttered, thrusting the popcorn into his mouth, while Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was over.

"Technically Voldemort never actually died," Liam specified

"Technically neither I"

"Voldemort doesn't have a nose," Liam insisted, determined to defend his point

"With all the times you broke it, I went close to it too," Theo frowned.

"Do you want to try again?"

"Ah shut up, you're just envious, Longbottom"

Liam grinned "You actually just gave me a compliment, but how could you know? You are not-"

Theo never knew what he was not, because at that moment Liam's phone began to ring. Liam glanced at the screen and froze, grabbing it and then watching his friends. At their interrogative look, he just replied "It's Scott" And then he answered, jumping up and walking away from the confusion to speak better.

"What will Scott want at this hour on a Friday?" Nolan asked doubtfully.

"Do you think something happened?" Corey said slowly.

"We'll find out soon, it seems," Theo muttered, grabbing the remote and turning off the TV, while Liam was back in the hall, his face gloomy.

"What happened?" "Is someone dead?" "Monroe?" Mason, Theo and Corey said at the same time

"We have to go back to Beacon Hills, right?" Nolan whispered

Nobody answered for a few seconds.

Then Liam nodded. "He did not give me the details, he said he would send someone to explain everything to us tomorrow," he explained gravely

"Well it was nice as long as it lasted," Mason grumbled at last, sighing. "Now we go back to the usual routine"

*

The next day they woke up early, and they set off to be in Beacon Hills for lunch. There was a tense silence in the car, but a tension different from the one that had filled the outward drive. It was a silence full of expectation, of fear and anxiety. For months they did not feel like that. They had cradled themselves in a sense of quiet, they had allowed themselves to concentrate on their lives, on everyday life, on banality. But they knew that the weight of responsibility would soon come back to weight on them. After all, Monroe was still out there, still intent on eliminating every supernatural creature that cross her path. And they knew that sooner or later they would have to go back to fighting.

Mason pulled out of the clinic, and as soon as they were all out of the car, the door opened and Deaton appeared in the doorway. "Come in, fast" he urged them, moving to let them pass. The group marched in a row toward the operating room. And they stopped in the doorway.

"What are you doing here?" Liam asked, raising an eyebrow at the man standing in the middle of the room.

"Apparently something made Scott think I was the right person to babysit his puppies pack" Peter sighed, rolling his eyes.