1

It all started on my 18th birthday.

It was getting close to midnight and the house was completely empty. Mom was out on a business trip and Jace was out at a hotel preparing for a  football game. The only thing that floated through the halls of the desolate mansion were the soft strums of my guitar. So you could understand how surprised I was when the doorbell rang. I lifted a plain black shirt over my head and walked downstairs to stop the irritating noise. I was not expecting anyone at this time. At most I thought it was Greg since he's the only person who doesn't seem to mind my introvertedness and did all the talking himself. But he knew better than to bother me after school hours. I didn't talk to anyone.

I yanked the front door open and was met with a petite frame holding a wrapped present.

"Elena?" I asked confused. "What are you doing here? Especially so late."

She stood unmoving just staring at me underneath those long lashes.

"Happy birthday." She said simply as she pushed her arms forward with the wrapped present poking my chest. I grabbed the present hesitantly, still unsure of her motive.

"Thanks."

The air was chilly but she showed no signs of moving.

"You want to come in?" I urged trying to understand what she wanted. She nods and I open the door wider for her to step in. This was too weird. Why was she here?

"You know Jace is out of town for a football game right? He won't be here for a couple of days. Mom is also out, it's just me."

My hands grew sweaty as it tightly gripped her present in my hands.

"Can I ask you something?" She asks abruptly. I didn't say anything but just stared at her. Her mocha skin shone dimly in the fluorescent light that came from the ceiling. Her arms tightly hugged herself to keep out the cold.

When she realized I wasn't going to respond she asked anyway.

"Can you give me guitar lessons?"

I was astonished. She came all the way here, damn near midnight, to ask that?

"I don't like teaching." I say emotionless. It was true. I wanted to know why she asked me. We had barely talked since today. In fact, this is the most we ever talked. To my surprise there was no tantrum nor screaming. She simply nodded to herself.

Is she ok?

"That's fine. I was just asking." Her voice was soft like if she talked any louder she would break down.

She was fragile.

Oh well.

When I was about to close the door as she exited, she turned around, staring at me with those big doe like eyes of hers.

"When Jace comes home, can you tell him to call me?"

Her voice was shaky and she sounded like she was about to cry.

Would I be an asshole if I said that I really wanted her to leave so I can be at peace again?

Yeah. I would be.

"Ok." Was the best answer that I could give. She nods to herself like she has done so a lot tonight.

And then she left.

I locked the front door and went back up to my room. I didn't mind being alone. I never understood why so many people craved socializing. It was exhausting, at least, to me it was. The fake smiles and laughs were simply not something I could surround myself with. This is what differed me and Jace.