Chapter 10: Jeon Jungkook, the Maknae

While Woobin worked up the courage to invite Sera to one more dinner before her flight the next morning, she politely declined, citing she had plans already

While Woobin worked up the courage to invite Sera to one more dinner before her flight the next morning, she politely declined, citing she had plans already. He immediately thought of the BTS boys, and although he was curious, he held back from prying. They walked out of the office together and stood outside of the building.

"We'll be in touch of course, since we're co-leads on this project," Sera pointed out when she sensed a touch of sadness in the mood. "I'll be back pretty soon, too." She offered a smile.

Woobin tried to mask his disappointment at her departure. "Yeah, sounds good. I'm guessing we'll put together a video conference once you're back?"

"Yeah, I'll let you know." Hugging felt much less taboo in America, but it was uncomfortable for Sera outside the country, so she offered a handshake, which he took politely. Unsure what else to do, she waved goodbye and headed to the metro station. Woobin checked his phone at the ping of a text notification, and when he saw it was his mother asking after another blind date again, he put it back in his pocket and headed the other direction towards his apartment.

A short time later, when Sera walked down the hall towards her apartment door, she was too deep in thought to notice someone watching her from around the corner. Miyoung was really just trying to observe Sera's entering and exiting patterns, but was surprised when Sera only stayed in her apartment for about ten minutes before coming out again. Miyoung had to dart back behind the corner to avoid being spotted.

Where are you going? Miyoung wondered. Deciding she might as well follow, she waited for Sera to head down the stairs and trailed after her.

Miyoung had never followed a person personally. She had always paid teenagers or college students to do it for her. However, she was smart, and kept her distance with stealth.

When Sera boarded the metro train, Miyoung hopped in the next car over, but stood at the end where she could keep her target in sight. They rode the line for two stops and got off. It was difficult for Miyoung to keep Sera in sight amongst the crowds, but finally they came out onto the street where everyone dispersed in various directions. Sera walked towards a shopping center, one smaller than the Loddie Department Store but full of high-end outlets nonetheless. Miyoung didn't dare go into the stores with her, but instead sat at a bench across the street. Her mask, beanie, and trenchcoat helped blend her in with the passing bodies.

For the next hour, Sera weaved in and out of different brand name stores, walking out with nothing. Miyoung was legitimately curious of her intentions. Finally, she came out of BOPMAN with a single shopping bag. BOPMAN was one of Jungkook's favorite brands, Miyoung immediately realized. A new wave of suspicion washed over her.

The sun had begun to set and Miyoung thought Sera would head home. When they boarded the metro again, however, they got off at a central stop and switched lines to a different train, away from their apartment building. Sera sat down, which was characteristically different from her usual standing - a sure sign that this would be a longer ride than usual.