Witch Hunt

24 Hours Earlier:

~Edward~

It was times like these the clock showed no remorse, ticking away faster than normal. Perplexity would soon wake from her slumber, and if she were to witness my absence I have no doubt there was bound to be questions. Where had I gone? Why haven't I been around? I can picture it now. Like a shadow, paranoia would spread across her face upon finding me gone. Her natural instinct was wise to be curious of my disappearances. What was I to tell her? The truth? The truth is a fool's game, no one gives another person the complete truth in this modern world. I would not be the mastermind if I came out right and explained to her how I, The Riddler will take part in the crime of the century.

"I can't believe this, they are forcing me to take a vacation..." Jonathan drags on, complaining like he was the only one with worries in the world. The Doctor throws his useless junk into a box beneath his desk.  I suppose he did have a slight reason to be upset. In his mind, Jon felt it to be utter nonsense that Mr. Arkham dismissed him for two weeks without pay, the morning prior to the Summit of all days.

Karma? Karma is a fool's word. Darwin's survival of the fittest has no place for kumbaya.

No, I do not believe in Karma, but his dismissal due to the investigation of malpractice could not have come at a worse time. Rumors about him testing on patients had slithered into the ears of some man upstairs, getting him suspended.

For crying out loud it was Arkham, everyone tested on their clients a little here or there. Research was the foundation of this institute. Jon believed that it was a coincidence, all of these little flaws simple coincidences. The Riddler's mind was smarter than that. I knew better. Jon was meant to stay here during the Summit, keep an eye and test on the hostages until it was time to blow up the place.

"I swear if Mr. Arkham thinks I have anything to do with this-"

"Jon quiet."

I shoot him a glare, moving closer to Jonathan. Obviously he was not taking any of the signals I sent him to be quiet. I shake my finger to inform him his ramblings needed to cease. His silence was necessary for me to enlighten him on my findings.

Jonathan turns to me insulted, pausing briefly from his upset packing. First off, Edward should not have snuck back into Arkham, not this close to the Summit. Secondly, who was he to tell him what to do when he was still parading around with that weakling girlfriend. "Did you just-"

"Shh-" The same noise leaves my lips as I quickly place a hand over his mouth. Did he really insist on acting foolishly and continuing to banter with me? Jon should know better than that. I look around, trying to figure out where the best place to explain myself is. I move slowly to the bookcase, leading us into Jon's special room. He eyes my actions, but I motioned for him to follow along.

Dr. Crane followed him down the path, hands folded across his chest in disapproval. "And how have you been getting your work done without your little pet finding out? Surely she's noticed you not around when she wakes."

"She is no pet, Jon she's a young lady who has a name. Perplexity. I've just been making sure she sleeps well, that's all."

Jon rolls his eyes, "So you expect me to believe that the most sleepless patient, who's terrified of the thought of dreaming, and has panic attacks consistently throughout the night, now sleeps like a baby." He paused, adjusting his glasses, "Ed..."

"Okay, okay-" I cut him off, not wanting to waste time with this nonsense. "I may have used Pamela's help just  to be certain....well to help her...."

His face lights up with amusement. A chuckle escapes Jonathan as he comes to the realization of what Edward was actually doing. He grins with amusement and pride,"You've been drugging her."