1

- It is probably the end of the world - purred under the nose, looking at the map. Tess already went hour and didn't pass not a single one house. She passed the last traffic signs 40 minutes earlier, as well were so enigmatic that she didn't know where she was - perhaps it is already Mexico? - thought aloud.

The winding road led her nowhere, as well waved from hot air. On the horizon she could see only mountains and kilometers of sand and dry bushes. For increasing the tragedy of her situation, were missing turning white bones of animals lying along the road and vultures circling above the head. From hour and a half didn't pass no car or a petrol station. Just as if a life didn't exist in this place. Tess was convinced that God had to forget about this part of the world or in surroundings some people carried out an experiment with the biological weapon.

It was empty. No birds, animals, people. Nothing. On top of all that, the mobile phone refused her the cooperation. She looked one more time at the map, trying to decipher the place of her location. For a few seconds she lowered the road from eyes, but it was enough. The car jumped up unexpectedly, pulled over and hit a barbed wire fence. In the last moment she managed to turn and to stop the car in the ditch. Clouds of dry sand which rose at the inhibition, buried a windscreen. She swallowed hard and took a deep breath trying to calm the pulse. She got out her brand new pickup truck and went round it. The front, right wheel stopped on the piece of wire. A punctured tire in the middle of the wilderness not augured well. Tess sat down on sand. At first she felt like bursting out crying from the helplessness. She wasn't able to change the wheel in the car, apart from that, didn't have needed tools or a wheel in turns. There was no such need in Chicago. She has usually rung for the roadside assistance.

She sighed heavily.

- I will die here and nobody will learn - purred under the nose. She looked at remains of the fence and wire. The flash of the common sense made her feel good again. Somebody who enclosed with wire own property had to live somewhere in the vicinity. She took out the backpack, to which packed the most needed things and the bottle of water. In fear of solar burns she put on the shirt with long sleeves to the thin blouse and closed the car. She moved ahead of herself with the inseparable map in hand. Heat quickly weakened her. She glanced at watch, already went half an hour and didn't meet the living soul. She dreamt of the cold shower. Clothes completely stuck for her to the back and feet ached like burnt with fire. She mended sunglasses which slipped off the sweaty nose.

- it is the Sahara or what?? - threw aloud, looking once again at the map. She was close to a breakdown. A whole her body ached her, water ended a long time ago and wheat biscuit which she found in the backpack, tasted as shavings. The vision of the death in the middle of the wilderness was more and more realistic. Suddenly, on the horizon waving from hot air she saw some indistinct stain which grew with every moment. Tess wasn't certain whether these are hallucinations because of heat, or whether what she can see is real. She swallowed hard moistening the dry throat. She looked straight ahead in disbelief, because the expanding stain gained the shape of... galloping horse.

Where from did this animal come?

Tess threw the backpack away aside and spread shoulders widely. She decided to stop the horse at all costs. She was conscious of the fact that the living animal means that to the owner it could not be far. And it meant the salvation. The horse neighed loud but slowed down. He finally stopped a few meters before her. Standing, nervously he shook the head. His auburn hair gleamed from sweat.

- shhhh.... Easy, pony - said quietly, slowly coming up to the animal. She had two last biscuit in the pocket of the shirt. She took them out and stretched the hand out in the direction of the horse, with the second hand stroked his neck gently - You are beautiful ... and you have a harness - noticed, slowly taking the shirt off from shoulders. With slow move tied one of sleeves on the leather halter by the muzzle of the horse - In this way I will be holding you - said, stroking him gently. She raised the rucksack and moved with the horse.