3

Tess sat on the ground, wet with sweat and completely exhausted. Muscle pain mingled with the pain of burns arms and back. She brushed strands of hair falling on face and nervously rubbing her left hand fingers on the right. She did not have the strength to get up. The knee was stiff. She tried to gather her thoughts.

- You saved his life - said Vincent, when the ambulance drove away - I'm going to the hospital.

- I'll take just my stuff. You give me a ride near the Idaho Falls? I find there a mechanic and take my car from your ranch.

- Sure - he reached out to help her get up from the ground

They went both to the house, Teresa grabbed the backpack and was ready to leave. Collided at the door, he let her go ahead.

- As soon as I can, I visit Tom - she said getting into the car, putting on her knees medical bag and backpack.

- Go now if you want. You will be calmer - noted

- How do you know that I am anxious?

- You still breaks fingers in your right hand - he replied, not even looking at her.

- Everything hurts - she moaned - I just want to be in Idaho Falls - sighed with resignation.

- What is there? - Vince is curious. Arriving on the road - Someone waiting for you?

- No - denied, looking through the window – No one waiting and in fact, it's probably nothing there except the dusty veterinary office. At least, nothing I do not expect find - she said

- Wait, you're talking about Rose Webster office? - he asked surprised - You bought it from her?

- No - Tess replied with a straight face - I got it in her will.

- Rose is dead??

- Died of cancer two months ago - she said - I promised her that although I see this place, which I hate so - she added quietly

- Hate? Why?

- My mother preferred this place from being with me and my father. They divorced. The mother returned to her maiden name. We argued, did not speak to my mother four years .... We met a year before her death, immediately after the diagnosis she appeared at my door - Teresa fingers rubbed her eyes, trying not to cry in front of a stranger.

- Rose's your mother? I've known her for 10 years. She did not mention a word about the fact that she has a daughter.

- You see? - said dryly Tess - I have reason to hate the village. I will not be able to live here ....

- So, what you doing here?

- I have to try at least. I promised it, just before her death.
He had to admit that he was wrong about the woman. Teresa was not a typical inhabitant of a large conurbation. She was torn. He smiled to himself.

- Tess? - he looked at her for a few seconds - you can handle.

Tess went to a small hospital room. Unpleasant shudder swept through her body. The last time she was in the hospital two months earlier, but still did not leave the impression that the hospital was still part of her life. All these monitors, flashing lights, the sound of the soft soles of nurses in the corridor, the rustle of skirts and the specific smell. In the room stood only two beds, one was empty and on the other was lying gray-haired man.