8

She was ready for 10 minutes and nervously walked around the living room waiting for friends, even though she jumped up, as the doorbell rang.

- Going! - shouted in the hall

She turned the lock and saw Kate in the doorway. A short-cut platinum blonde with big brown eyes smiled happily.

- Tess! - kissed friend - Ready?

- I am taking a coat and we can go - said Teresa, imposing a coat - I dressed well? - she asked, stopping half-buttoned - I do not know what kind of party it is ....

- You are always well dressed - Kate waved her hand - I will steal those pants from you, they are divine. Come on, because Pete is waiting downstairs in the car and if he gets a ticket, he will be furious - she rolled her eyes.

The event turned out to be Pete's corporate event. A monstrously stiff and flashy Christmas party organized by an insurance company. Good catering, a lot of alcohol and 300 employees with accompanying people - it did not look good from the beginning. Teresa, however, appreciated the gesture of friends and smiled. She went to the bar, put a small clutch bag on the desk, and looked up at the rented bartender.

- What for you? We have whiskey, gin, vodka, white and red wine ....

- Martini - she interrupted him - double. And two olives.

The bartender nodded and reached for glass. Tess looked around the great hall. Insurance agents let off the leash, drank any alcohol at an express rate. There was no one around who would talk about anything other than business matters. Corporate events were just that. Because of her friends, Tess decided to stay an hour and disappear.

- What do you know about the agricultural package as you saw the village only on television! - an overweight obedient man approached the bar with his companion in a badly chosen, burgundy sweater - Two large vodka and cola - he placed an order.

- What are you talking about! - the owner of the burgundy sweater was indignant - after all, we have to sell it! Let villagers not complain about the amount of compensation! The contributions are low and .... - he noticed standing Tess - And we do not know this friend - he smiled - You are from some field branch?

- Fortunately, no - she said tartly, walking away, sipping her martinis. She scanned the farthest corner and took her steps there. As she passed, she saw the figure of a smiling Kate. She was enjoying herself perfectly. Together with Pete, they had known each other for quite a long time, so her friend was used to similar events. Tess stood in a corner, hiding behind a thick pillar. Every moment she leaned her head and longedly looked towards the exit. She tucked the clutch bag under her arm and leaned her arm against the pillar. One double martini was definitely not enough if she had to stay another hour here.

- You stole my hiding place - she heard behind her back.

She turned her head. A huge man with a bottle of beer in his hand stood in front of her. He was certainly over 6.5 feet tall, with black short hair and a square jaw. Arm muscles literally pushed out a black leather jacket, and powerful legs clad in dark jeans. Heavy motorcycle boots complemented the suit, unsuitable for the place and circumstances. Tess thought that the stranger looked like Conan the Barbarian, not the insurance agent. If only he had a leather loincloth ... She laughed, trying to imagine the giant with a sword in his hand and a piece of leather in a strategic place.
Conan the Barbarian looked at her with complete incomprehension. He had black eyes like coal, sparkling in blinking lights hung from the ceiling and on the walls, creating an artistic vision, of some Christmas madman.

- I said something funny?

- No - denied - Just ... - she stopped, considering that it is better, not to explain her behavior - Nothing ... sorry. And I'm sorry, for the hideout. I'll be here only an hour.