Chapter 13 - Part 1 Trial by Fire & Epiphany

A/N: I know I promised the next upload ages ago, so I felt a bit bad about not posting anything. So here is probably my shortest submission yet. Part 1 of Trial by Fire and Epiphany. Before I forget, sorry about that cliffhanger... oops

Conor eyed the door apprehensively. The noise was excruciating. He could hear Maia scream occasionally, interspersed with growling. He suspected the strong room would never be the same, furniture could be heard falling over. He was about to reach for the door, orders be damned, when it flew open and shut just as quickly. Maia stood with her hands on her knees, panting hard. She was in hybrid form, numerous bite marks and gashes marred her blood smeared silver fur. “This is not going to work.” There were tears in her voice, making it husky. Without a second thought he grabbed her and hugged her.

Maia couldn't be more surprised if she tried. She stiffened slightly. “Conor? You can let go now.” Dia giggled. “He's crossing over. We have to get this done.” She looked at her companions. “Dia, get Elle down here.” Her breathing slowed, the sting of healing starting itch. “Conor, what is his favourite meat in wolf form?” He looked at her as if she was mad.

“Wild boar. You're going to feed him after he mauled you?” She gave him a disgusted look even if his incredulity was funny.

“No Conor, I'm going to introduce the potion in something he wont be able to resist.” Elle rushed to her side.

“What the hell happened to you?” She was appalled. Maia looked as if she'd been in the wars.

“Elle, can we talk about this later? Do we have a haunch of wild boar floating around somewhere?” At Elle's nod she continued. “Get it down here and bring a syringe with you. Also, a robe would be nice.” She smiled hopefully. Elle laughed.

“This is just precious. He'll never live it down. If we get him back that is.” She frowned and the disappeared up the corridor. It was the longest 10 minutes in the universe.

“You certainly took your damn time!” Conor snapped. Gabriel had started to howl in grief and hadn't stopped. Maia just reached for the syringe carefully infusing the raw meat with the antidote.

“Calm down Conor, it was a grand total of 10 minutes, open the door and close it behind me.” She suddenly shifted to her full wolf form and carefully picked up the haunch. She nodded at Conor. As soon as the door opened and closed the howling abruptly stopped, followed by a yelp.

“Luna, I hope she's okay.” Fear laced the air.

Maia almost died of fright. As soon as she faced Gabriel, he leapt at her. Ignoring the haunch completely. It hit the ground with a thud as she was flattened AGAIN! Fuck, what now. To her surprise he wasn't growling and snapping at her face. He was licking at her muzzle whining in distress. She growled back at him, to make him give her some space. He stepped back still whining pitifully. She got to her feet. Dragged the haunch to his feet and sat down watching him expectantly. She chuffed gently. She could almost see the scent of the meat drift over his over wrought brain. Hungrily he devoured the haunch. She sat with her back to the wall and shifted back to her human form. She was tired and she was covered in gouges and her own blood. She just hoped it would work.

*

Gabriel curled his massive body around his mate, carefully intertwining his limbs with hers. He snuggled in close, burying his nose in her neck. He could smell her again and he couldn't get enough. He lifted his head to caress her extraordinary skin with his eyes. A sudden stab of guilt made him groan. The bruising was starting to fade. But he was fully aware that he had inflicted the damage on her. He'd hurt her. He would never forgive himself. He held her closer to his chest, trying to get into as much contact as possible with her skin. The last few days had been excruciating. Babe? I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt you. I promise. I promise I won't do it again. I love you. She shifted slightly.