6• The Briar King

(A/n: I just want to add for all of those new to my books: these pictures are not depictions of anything in my books

(A/n: I just want to add for all of those new to my books: these pictures are not depictions of anything in my books. They're just pictures that relate to it or inspire. All songs are songs I wrote the chapter to so it'll help set the mood if you play it)

🐏

Two Weeks Later

A hundred black graduation caps fly into the air as cheers erupt all around. In a daydream, Delilah stares above at the cloud of caps, with hers still firmly planted on her head. While most are celebrating the beginning of their lives, Delilah is far from thrilled about this day. It's the day of reckoning, the day everything as she knows it will change forever.

Little does she know just how much it will change by the night's end...

Tyler hoots as he throws an arm around my shoulder. My eyes bulge out as I fall sideways. Tyler yells loudly in my ear," Woohoo! We're outta here baby! Snap out of it, Delilah! We're free!"

I give him a big smile that doesn't quite reach my eyes. My ears ring from how loud he'd screamed in my ears and I try to nonchalantly rub at one with my shoulder. Tyler, completely oblivious, snatches my graduation cap off my head and throw it up into the air.

I watch it fly solo like a bad omen. Seeing that lone cap soar through the air makes me feel like nothing in my life is going to go the way my classmates' lives will go. It taunts me that everything will go very differently for me as I've always feared.

Even though I've never felt like the typical path is for me, it's still unsettling as to what that exactly means. Where do I go from here?

"Delilah! Tyler! Over here!" Tiffany shouts. I look over to see Tiffany standing beside our other friends Molly, Rori, and Wyatt.
Molly bounces on her toes excitedly with the biggest cheesiest grin on her face," Come on! Let's all take a picture!"

As Tyler drags me over to them, I get an ominous feeling. Tiffany will be going to Harvard Law School in the fall and spending her last free summer in France with her aunt. Molly has already been accepted into a nursing program she'll be starting in two weeks. Rori will be backpacking across Europe this summer before he goes onto New York to start college where he intends to study to be a doctor. Wyatt will be joining Rori in Europe and going to California to study video game design. Tyler got a full scholarship in Tennessee to play football for their school. He will be studying business there, but his dream is to go pro.

Then there's me - lost, unsure, and terrified of what I'm suppose to do. I'm suppose to have everything figured out by now. I should've had it figured out two years ago when we all had to go to the counselor and discuss our futures. I'm still just as lost as I was then. Nothing has ever called out to me. I feel so purposeless.