Chapter 4

When Julie woke up, her head was pounding and she could swear she heard a roaring sound like that of an engine. She’d woken up with a ringing in her ears before, but it had eventually gone away, and it hadn’t sounded like this. On top of everything, it felt as though her entire right side was vibrating. She tried opening her eyes, but they were too swollen and the light coming through her eyelids was enough to make her want to crawl into a dark corner somewhere and die.

She felt her body jolt unnaturally and again wondered what was going on. Could she be in a car? Was Derek taking her someplace to dump her body? Did he decide he’d grown tired of her and it was time to dispose of the evidence? Julie wanted to cry, but it hurt too much. Nevertheless, her body refused to listen to reason and pain shot through her as sobs rippled through her body.

Something heavy landed on her hip and she once again re-evaluated her location. Was this all a nightmare? Was she about to open her eyes and find herself in bed with Derek, his heavy arm draped across her midsection?

“Try not to move,” a raspy voice said and Julie froze. That wasn’t Derek’s voice. Had she been kidnapped?

“Julie? You’re safe,” the voice said and Julie felt like scoffing. Wasn’t that such a typical thing for a kidnapper to say? Well, maybe not, but Julie had never been kidnapped, so how would she know?

“I’m taking you to the hospital,” the voice continued. No. No, she couldn’t go to a hospital. Hospitals asked questions, and questions made Derek angry. Derek. Where was Derek?

“No,” she managed to whimper. “No hospital.”

“Julie, you probably have a couple of broken ribs and your face looks like you were run over by a truck. We’re going to the hospital,” the voice said, patient yet tense.

Maybe it was Derek after all, saying he’d take her to the hospital when he was really going to dump her body in the woods.

“I’m sorry, Derek,” Julie whimpered. “Please, I just want to go home.”

“Derek’s not going to hurt you again,” the voice said tersely.

What? When did Derek start to refer to himself in third person? Was he schizophrenic now? Julie wondered, trying to make sense of the situation.

“Try not to move too much, okay?” the voice reminded her. “We’re almost there.”

Julie gave up on trying to understand what was going on, too tired to care anymore, and allowed herself to drift back to sleep.

The next time Julie woke up, she was in an all-white room. Hospital. The voice had said something about a hospital. No. No, she couldn’t be in the hospital. Julie groaned and tried to sit up but the pain in her midsection was too much to handle and she lay back down.  

“Oh, you’re awake,” a female, motherly voice said. Julie opened her eyes slightly to find what must be a nurse, looking down at her. “Your husband will be happy to hear it. He’s been pacing the halls, asking about you every five minutes… dear, what’s wrong?” the nurse asked, alarmed as Julie turned a whiter shade of pale. “This wasn’t a car accident, was it?” the matronly woman said and patted Julie’s hand. “Don’t you worry, I’ll have security escort him out and…”

“No,” Julie objected. “I want to see him.”

“Well, all right,” the nurse reluctantly agreed. “I’ll tell him you’re asking for him, but if you need me, press on this here button,” she said and pushed a little alarm into Julie’s palm. “I’ll come right back, all right?”