two

charlie looked over at luke who was holding out a packet of spearmint gum. she looked at him questioningly,

"for when we lift off. it'll hurt your ears less." he explained simply.

charlie shrugged taking a piece from the packet, before unwrapping it and popping it in her mouth, letting the minty flavour seep onto her tastebuds.

"thanks." she smiled with her mouth closed. she didn't want the gum falling out, that would be embarrassing. she leaned back in her seat, looking out the window for a few moments before facing the back of the seat in front of her. seconds later the plane began to speed down the run way, before accelerating into the sky. luke was right, chewing the gum really did help. charlie didn't know why she had never thought of it before. thinking back, she remembered her mum giving her lollypops to suck on and that seemed to work too. charlie really missed her mum. but that wasn't something she like talking about.

charlie peered out the small window looking at the view of her home city, perth. it looked beautiful from up here, it always did. the swan river, the lights from the city and all the houses, it all looked spectacular especially at night.

she turned back to luke who now had out a notebook and pen. being the curious person she was, charlie leaned over trying to catch a glance at what he was jotting down. before she could even read the first word, luke quickly closed the book revealing a tattered brown cover.

"what was that?" she asked, trying not to sound too nosy.

luke shrugged, "nothing,"

"oh come on." charlie half whined. when someone says nothing, 100% of the time, that means something.

"nope." luke chuckled, placing it in the pocket of the seat in front of him.

charlie sighed in defeat. she barely knew luke so she wasn't going to push it. they sat in silence for a few minutes, charlie chewing their gum, oblivious to the stare luke had on her ratted hair.

"your hair." luke half murmured half laughed, looking up at charlie.

"what?"

"i'm not gonna lie, it resembles a birds nest." he said trying to hold back a smile.

"gee thanks. yours looks lovely too luke." she rolled her eyes, even though she knew he was probably right. she hadn't bothered to brush it for a 4 hour flight and ended up putting it in a messy bun. not a 'im-going-to-perfectly-place-my-hair-in-a-messy-loooking-bun-that-looks-really-cute-and-totally-indie' messy bun, but an actuall messy bun that just overall looked like a big knot.

"aw thank you." he cooed, even though he knew she was kidding. charlie was quite sarcastic, you didn't have to know her well to know that. she gave him a playful glare before looking back out the window. once again they sat in a few minutes of somewhat uncomfortable silence.

"question." charlie spoke up suddenly.

"yes?" luke answered.

"why are you wearing sun glasses on a plane, during the night?" she asked curiously.

"why not?" he replied, as if it was a normal thing to do.

charlie subtly moved her finger in a circular 'he's crazy' motion.

"hey!" luke complained, pouting his chapped pink lips. "i saw that!"

"i'm not the one wearing sunglasses when the sun's not even out." she retaliated.

"touchè."

-

a/n:

i feel like this chapter was so boring i'm sorry