six

when you're a few thousand feet in the air, in a crammed plane seat, there really isn't much to do. so luke and charlie were currently listening to music through luke's phone (he claimed he had 'way better music'), one earphone placed in charlie's ear, and the other in lukes.

thinking out loud came on, just as 'resolution' ended, and charlie turned to face luke instantly.

"best. song. ever." she exclaimed.

"um no, pretty sure this is thinking out loud. never really been a fan of one direction myself" luke smirked.

"you're such a dork." charlie laughed, leaning her head against the window. luke's broad shoulder looked like a much more comfortable option but she didn't want to risk him feeling uncomfortable, so the window would do for now.

"honey now, take me into your loving arms." luke sung quietly under his breath, tapping his fingers on the arm rest.

it was hard to hear over the roaring engine of the plane, along with the quiet (almost nonexistent) voice he used, but from what charlie could make out, he was actually pretty good. really good. she opened her mouth to comment on the fact that luke hadn't told her he could sing, but quickly closed it, deciding she would just enjoy it for a little while longer.

"kiss me under the light of a thousand stars." he continued quietly.

charlie closed her eyes listening to his soothing voice. she could listen to it for hours.

luke looked over at charlie, as his singing stopped. "hey, don't falling asleep on me." he pouted, poking her gently on the shoulder.

"i'm not." she replied with a small smile, "just enjoying your singing."

"oh." luke said uncomfortably, suddenly sounding somewhat nervous. "you heard that?" he asked.

"mhmm." she replied. "you're really good. why didn't you tell me you could sing?" charlie asked, her head still leaned against the uncomfortable plane window.

luke shrugged, "it just didn't come up in conversation i guess."

"you're really good." charlie stated again.

"you already said that." luke chuckled, running a hand through his messy quiff. "and i'm not going to lie and say i'm horrible just for attention, because i mean, i don't really think i am. but, i'm not that good. nothing special." he sighed shrugging his shoulders.

"luke?" charlie said.

"hmm?"

"shut up."

luke smiled, pulling his bottom lip between his teeth.

"you have a wonderful voice, honestly. okay?" charlie reassured him, sitting up from against the window. luke just shrugged his shoulders again, letting out a long sigh.

"okay." he said, as though he didn't quite believe it.

"luke i'm serious. you're amazing." charlie said seriously. she hated that luke didn't believe her. she wasn't saying this as a simple, polite compliment. charlie genuinely thought luke had an incredible voice and he needed to realise that.

luke looked up at charlie and smiled fondly.

"you're amazing too char."

"what? i don't sing." replied a perplexed charlie, ignoring the new nickname luke had used towards her.

"no, i know. i mean you're just an amazing person." he smiled.

"ugh lucas. cheesy doesn't suit you."

"i'm being serious charlie." luke said, the roles somewhat reversed. now luke was trying to convince charlie and not the other way around.

"mhmm." charlie mumbled disbelievingly.