Chapter Five

"How come Scar doesn't know about it, Potter?" Lily yelled, stomping past the portrait door in the common room.

Scarlett stumbled after her, out of breath and gasping for air. She stood by the doorway, her brown eyes focused on her friend. She had no idea what Lily was talking about, but her and her brother didn't seem to intend to let her join the conversation. Every so often, one of them would gaze over at her, before going back to their hushed talking. 

"You still haven't answered my question, Potter," Lily said, her voice rising above its previous hushed tone. "Why doesn't Scar know about it?"

James opened his mouth to reply, but Scarlett bet him to it. "What are you talking about?" She yelled, causing all eyes in the common room to fall on her.

"Show it to her," Lily muttered, turning away from James and moving to sit in an armchair.

Scarlett stepped away from doorway and moved closer to her brother. He stood in front of the fireplace with his friends and Lily sitting on chairs surrounding him. 

"Scar, don't freak out when you see..." James tried telling his sister, but Lily cut him off.

"Just show her the darn thing."

Groaning, James pulled his hand out from behind his back. Scarlett's eyes dropped to find the newspaper in his hand, opened to a certain page. Her eyebrows furrowed. What was so important in the Daily Prophet? Her eyes skimmed the page, before landing at the bottom. There was a message there that was completely unlike the rest of the newspaper. It was still and faded, blotchy and crooked.

“What’s that?” Scarlett questioned, pointing to it.

“Scar, just read it,” James sighed.

Wanted

Give us the girl and we will leave you in peace. Give us the girl. Give us Scarlett Potter. You have no true need for her like we do.

The newspaper hit the floor with a soft thump. Scarlett looked up at her brother with big eyes. Her bottom lip trembled. “What? Why do they want me? James?”

“No, no, no, Scar,” James mumbled, pulling Scarlett into his arms. “Nothing is going to happen to you, I promise.”

Scarlett shook her head and pushed her way out of James’ arms. “No, just… just leave me alone,” she mumbled, walking backwards. They all watched her. James, Lily, Sirius and Remus. She didn’t get it. Why would someone want her? What need do they have for her? She couldn’t take it.

She took off running.

She ran out of the common room, not caring about the curfew, and ran down the stairs. She could hear them all calling after her, but she didn’t care. She just let her legs carry her away.

Hello again, quick question. Do you guys prefer short chapters like this one and the previous one or would you prefer longer chapters that would take longer to write?