Chapter 5.

A week has past from when our course forms' were given in. Dad still isn't back from his overseas work. I dwell at his absence, but I'm not going to let him ruin my night.

I couldn't sleep all night. Too excited but nervous. Before leaving the house for school this morning, I made it my mission to have already packed my bag for Logan and I's one night stay at Pullman Hotel.

I can imagine us having massages and us having fancy meals for dinner.

My mouth curves into a smile at the thought. It's going to be one of those nights where I'll be remembering it forever.

My tummy is doing summersaults, but my brain is filled with adrenaline as I walk towards Logan's car.

"I'll see you tonight! Get ready to see my ass on fire." Whitney sarcastically state as she waves me goodbye.

"I'll be waiting for your dance moves to show up,' I smile at her effortless joke.

After what seems like a long day at school, Logan finally drops me at my house.

he car ride was filled with chatters about prom and Logan's basketball practise today.

"I'll pick you up at six thirty okay babe." he smiles as his arms come into a hug around my body.

I shiver at the mention of the word again, but I decide to remain calm since prom is tonight.

I open the house door to a huge whiff of chicken casserole swirling from the kitchen. The lights were all on, and it seems like a party is occurring at our house.

I place my bag on the sofa and place my boots near the door. I enter the kitchen, with mum in her usual spot. Dishing up the chicken casserole for us.

Even though this is the saddest state I've ever seen her in, she is great at acting all smiley when deep down, all of us, even Lincoln is struggling without dad. I blame the puffy eyes and dried, cracked lips on mum's face on dad.

He's only been home for at least five times this year. With only about a week stay at home. But nowadays, it feel like its months until he arrives back home. I hate how his work tears our family apart.

Not only do I miss him, but he's not around much to see me grow. Mum cries sometimes, and I don't know how to comfort her. I feel uncomfortable. So un-right for me to comfort my own mother when it should usually be the other way around.

"Indie! It's your greatest day. You better eat up before you get ready." She cheerly exclaims as I place my jacket on the back of the chair.

"Yes I will," I reply hiding my excitement of eating my favourite dish.

Lincoln comes down from his room to join us. I watch him from the table as he walks down the stairs whilst texting as he nearly slips down a step.

"Don't multi task if you can't do so,' I tease him as I take a bit into my food.

"Would you stop with your ridiculous remarks?" he battles.

I refuse to continue the fight as I am starving, and instead I teasingly roll my eyes at him.

"Lincoln, stop being an ass to your sister," mum adds as she takes a drink. Knowing that she is trying to crack a joke.

I laugh too loudly as intended and Lincoln gives me a playful glare.

The cold air in the house has grown warmer and less harsher. Ever since dad started leaving home for work overseas, nearly two weeks ago tomorrow, the atmosphere in the house is shivering and dark. From then, it is now more joyful and welcoming.

Mum seems to be quite satisfied from her own joke remark and I slightly hear a giggle slip out of her mouth.