XXVI: Past The Stars

Poke. And then another, right on his arm. "Adam," a familiar voice sang, a voice belonging to one very beloved but very rude fiancé. It couldn't possibly already be morning, right? April mornings don't start that early, there should at least be the glimmer of a sunrise by now.

Adam opened his eyes to see Shiro, sitting up in bed, waiting for him to wake up. And just behind him, a blurred alarm clock reading 2:03 or 2:08, he couldn't tell which. "Takashi, love, it's two in the morning," he said groggily, rolling back over.

"I wanted to show you something," Shiro stated, getting out of bed and sitting down on the other side of Adam, so they faced each other once more.

"Could it wait until morning?" Adam asked politely.

Shiro shook his head, which was barely visible in the dark, "Not exactly," he responded, and stood back up. "Come on, I'll make you coffee," he said, and pulled the blanket off of Adam's torso, only leaving his legs covered from the cold.

Adam sighed and sat up. He figured that if Shiro woke up so early to show Adam, whatever it was, it must be important. He grabbed a hoodie and slipped on his pajama pants, he figured since Shiro was also in his pajamas that it must not be anything that he'll have to dress up for. He grabbed his glasses off the bedside table, ran his fingers through his hair to tame it one last time, and stepped outside.

Shiro handed Adam a coffee mug of steaming warm black coffee. Adam took a careful sip, but his attention was at the picnic basket on the countertop, "What's that for?" he asked after swallowing the coffee.

"You'll see," Shiro ensured. Adam was still curious, but shrugged and carried on with his coffee. Shiro started putting a hoodie on over his shirt, the coffee-stained one from when they first met.

Adam eventually finished his coffee, and definitely felt much more alive afterwards. He set it in the sink, and asked, "So what was it you wanted to show me?" he asked.

"You'll see."

Shiro turned off the lights and opened the door, carrying the picnic basket. Adam guessed that he should follow where Shiro led him, so he followed as Shiro took a winding path throughout the hallways, going up and down stairs of different buildings, rooms for Garrison officers and cadets and captains.

Eventually, they reached a ladder in the corner, or about the sixth floor, if Adam had to guess. He hadn't been keeping track. Shiro started climbing up, and Adam followed, and started wondering if this was even allowed, hell, if it was even legal.

Shiro was on a small platform in front of a door, and Adam stopped beside him. It was a small room, barely fitting them both.

"So, what was it you dragged me up here for at two in the morning?" Adam asked.

"There was a power outage, across the entirety of Mosquero County," Shiro started, "Almost all the lights went out, the alert woke me up. The Garrison was fine, but, since all the lights went out, we can see all the stars." Shiro pushed open the door.

The first thing Adam noticed was the purple sky, and the millions of stars within it. He let out a small "woah," as he stepped outside to watch the endless night sky around them. Usually the stars were visible at night, and it was a lot more than he grew up with in New York, where he'd hope to spot a helicopter and pretend it was a star. But the usual night sky of a few hundred stars or so was nothing compared to this.

The sky was purple and blue and millions of colors and it painted the entire desert dark, except for the Garrison which still glowed golden below them. It was dark, but he could still see the rocky cliffs surrounding them, the usual red turned the color of wine in the night. The galaxies above were so vast that it was worth waking up so early to see.