Chapter 3 : Capture

For the next three years, me and Emma were inseparable. Two lost children in the cruel world of adults. Stealing food was easier because we would make strategies and plan everything out. For us, it was just a game. A game where if we failed, meant prison or death. Those were the best years of my life. To be honest, I preferred being with that girl than living with my own parents. It's hard to explain but, she truly was a part of me. I eventually told her my real name but, I never gained the courage to tell Emma the identity of my father. That man needed to disappear from my memories. She and I slept every night in a big box we found one day. It wasn't the best but it was perfect for us. Home is not an object or a place, home is being with someone who cares about you. We could be anywhere in the world, the highest mountains, the deepest caves, I would still be at home with Emma by my side. I would never let her leave my sight. I swore to myself to never ever lose her. She was the meaning to my life. We never really talked about our relationship but, me and her knew only after a few days that we were way more than just friends. From time to time, we would steal expensive gifts for one and other to somewhat prove our love and loyalty. Now that I think about it, that was pretty stupid of us. 

When Emma turned 13 years old, she finally decided that she wanted to return to the old concentration camp where her parents died to say a real goodbye, and learn more about her past. She always felt like they deserved a better memorial. At that time, I was almost fifteen. Two teens don't normally travel enormous distances like that. Then again, we were far from normal. My hometown was a few hours from our destination. Maybe I could get the chance to understand what happened... After all, I changed a lot. They probably won't recognize me. We both had many secrets to discover about our childhood. Before leaving Lodgen, I had to ask her something, Heyyy...hum wanna... Without finishing my sentence, she quickly replied Yes!! Yes I want to marry you... She magically read my mind. I didn't say anything back, I was too shy to say anything. We both blushed and kissed like it was the first time. After packing a lot of food supplies, we were ready to go. In our journey, me and my beautiful wife swam across lakes, crossed majestic forests, sneaked between borders, all that to find the truth. It took four weeks to arrive near my village. Time was relative when we were together. That cannot be said for the food tough. Both of our backpacks were almost empty, and we still had a few days before reaching my hometown. Luckily for us, not eating was far from being unusual. That trip made us even closer, it didn't even think that was possible. We both felt what the other felt, we sort of shared the same mind. At last we were a few minutes away from our first stop. 

On a sign was written Welcome to Yegario, where peace lives. Peace was not what we saw when we arrived. Or maybe was it? The silence of death surrounded the village. All the houses were burnt to the ground. Dead corpses of my family members and my old friends were scattered on the floor. Legs on my right, arms on my left and decapitated heads everywhere. The worst of it all was that I could still identify each and every one of them. While Emma was screaming and crying, I ran to where my house once was. In that exact spot was a huge hole leading underground. Emma, Emma calm down you're alright. Sorry I'll be fine, she quietly replied. I took her hand and held her next to me. On a closer inspection, it wasn't just a hole. There were an entire underground cavern and many tunnels. What in the world is this?? Since when is this here?! Let's go take a look. She looked very scared, I knew she didn't want to go explore under. Sterben..., I'll stay up here and keep watch while you go, she said. You sure? I think it's best if we stick together, I answered. No! Listen to me, I'm perfectly fine where I am! That was the first time she got mad at me. I didn't know what to do at this point so, I simply went alone underground without saying another word.

 A huge trail of blood was coming from the path ahead. Where did all this come from? Along the way, there were some ancient paintings on the walls and ceiling. A two horned creature was represented in almost all of them. On the right side of the tunnel, there was a certain red marking that picked my interest. Werden is my Rebirth, Hexus is the true Awakening. I couldn't believe it. H-exus...? Father is this all your doing? My family name was on that damn wall. Something isn't right in here, I whispered to myself. Continuing on the long path of blood, I spotted many other messages in the same deep red color; he is back, the arm of sorrow, Paradis to rule, capture them... At the end, was a pretty large room that connected other tunnels. Worship our protector. That phrase was written all across the black walls of the mysterious room. An old broken conference table and six chairs were in the middle. On each back was the name of one of the village leaders, including my old man and a person named The Creator. My curiosity was so immense that all the fear I should have experienced disappeared. Before inspecting everything closely, I remember Emma was all alone above. I needed to go check on her before I loose track of time. 

On my way back, I spotted a small spark coming from another tunnel. When I got closer, a realised that a marking made of the letters Z-U-K-U-N-F-T was emitting pulses of glowing light. When I touched  it to see how it glowed, my vision completely turned white like if the sun was in front of me. Suddenly, a deep voice started talking behind me. I MADE A MISTAKE, FREE ME FROM MY VESSEL AND SAVE EVERYONE BEFORE... The voice stopped and my vision slowly came back. Where...where am I? The tunnels and darkness vanished and were replaced by a the strong light shining down on me from the roof of a golden palace. Surrounded by armed knights, I was down on my knees. My hands were covered in blood and tears were dripping from my eyes like a broken sink. Right in front of me, a disfigured little child was taking its last breath in this world. I couldn't move at all. My mouth was glued shut and I had trouble breathing. My heart was beating so fast that my entire body was shaking. I didn't know why, but something inside me knew that the innocent girl needed to die for a greater cause. As I realise that, a voice in my head repeats the following words: it was the right thing, it was the right thing, it was... My eyes then opened and I'm back in the underground ruins of my village. Woah...I must be very dehydrated. That felt so real

After calming myself, I was back on my way to Emma. My footsteps sounded louder than usual. They were getting louder and louder. When I stopped walking, the sound of footsteps didn't. Somebody or something else than us was here, and going quickly in her direction. Emma run!!! I can't live without you! Ruuuuuuuuun!!!! Not only did the sounds come from in the tunnels, there were also people above the ground. Even if I was tired, my legs needed to give a last effort so I could save her. As fast as a cheetah and as fierce as a panther, I ran towards the entrance where she was. The closer I was to the light, the louder were her screams. Sterbennnnn!!! When I finally got out of the tunnel, it was too late. A group of tall men wearing red uniforms grabbed her and put a bag over her head. Fuckkk! Come back! I screamed from the top of my lungs. Everybody in the area could of heard it. I continued runnings towards them but I was no match for the incredible speed of their horses. Em...Emma...no....On that day, I lost my home once again.