Chapter 2: Usagi Beer

"Yuu! I'm really sorry for what happened yesterday!" Chiaki apologized through the phone. 

"I told you, it's fine. I should be the one apologizing for what I did to you."  

"Yuu..." 

"Look... I know I'll probably never win against that guy, but understand that my feelings for you are true. I just have to accept that fact that you will never see me more than just a friend." 

"Yuu, I-" 

"Chiaki... I don't want to ruin our friendship. Even if we can remain friends I'm fine with that, but... give me some time. Please..." 

"... Alright Yuu... I'm sorry..." 

"Idiot. Don't apologize." 

"..." 

"Contact me if you need help, but nothing more. Not until I put myself together." 

"Mm... Sure... Bye." 

"Bye." 

Yuu tossed his phone on the coffee table in front of him after the conversation. 

He turned on the TV, lay down on the couch, and heaved a huge sigh. 

"Hmm... What's for dinner?" he got up and walked towards the kitchen. 

He looked around and found nothing. 

"Heh. If only I had a butler like Hatori, I'd be living the life of luxury." Yuu said to himself. 

'That hell of a butler,' he thought.  

"Looks like I'll have to run to the store and stack up," Yuu said, taking his phone and wallet with him. 

As he was heading out, he walked past a desk with a picture of him and Chiaki back in middle school.  

It was a picture of them on the first day; a formal picture that commemorated the beginning of his love. 

He looked at it for a while and put the frame down, then he closed the lights and left the apartment. 

~~~~~ 

"Hmm... I think I bought too much..." Yuu said to himself, looking at the shopping bags he's holding. 

While he wasn't paying attention to where he was going, he bumped into someone who was also not paying attention. 

"Ah! Excuse me... Ijuuin-sensei?"  

"Ah. Yanase-kun. Sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going." 

"Same here." 

"You're holding a lot there. Need any help?"  

"Oh no I'm fine. Thank you for your concern. You must be busy." 

"Actually I was just gonna head home and spend some time alone, so I'm not that busy. Come on, give me a bag or two," Ijuuin offered, taking two bags from Yuu. 

"Alright. Thank you," Yuu said. 

"So why the shopping? You having a party?"  

"No. I just thought I needed to stack up and I didn't realize that I'd bought this many." 

"Do you cook?" 

"Most of the time since I live alone. How about you?" 

"Same," Ijuuin said, stopping at a convenience store. "Mind if I just buy something?" 

"Sure. Go ahead," Yuu assured. 

Ijuuin went in the store while Yuu waited outside.  

After a few minutes, Ijuuin came out of the store with a bag of Usagi Beers.