Chapter 19

I sat up in bed at 6:00 am. I didn't get much sleep that night due to the news the cops gave me the night before. Gordon the shooter was dead. But that didn't explain what Tim was talking about. Why would Katrina be tailing Jace ? More importantly, what did he have to do with this ?

I had to find out. I checked my phone and had still not heard back from Katrina. I was worried, what if she was hurt or worse ? Why did she have to follow anyone ? That's reckless ! But Jace couldn't have anything to do with it ? Right ?

I decided to call Jace, I wasn't going to out right accuse him but I needed to see how he reacted to Katrina being missing. I dialed his number and waited, it rang 5 times before I heard him pick up.

"Crystal?" He asked in a sleepy voice. "Why are you calling this early ?"

Okay how was I going to start this...

"Hey, I couldn't sleep and I was just wondering if you had seen Kat lately ?" I asked. "She's had her phone off for almost 2 days.."

I heard rustling in the background as I waited for his response. What was I doing ? Jace wouldn't have hurt his best friend ! But you don't know that.

"Uh no. Why ? What's going on ?" Jace asked.

I tried to think of what to say next but it was difficult without giving myself away.

"I just heard that Luke's shooter was killed after the cops chased him down in a high speed chase. I tried to reach Katrina but she hasn't been answering." I said, good save.

"That's great, it must mean it's over right ?" Jace said. "With the shooter dead, justice is served."

Oh it was far from over. Far from over.

"That doesn't explain where Katrina is." I said. "Are you sure you haven't seen her ?"

"Yes I'm sure, I'm sorry that I can't help." Jace said. "Is there anything else I can do ?"

He wasn't showing guilt or signs he was lying. But again I was never good at reading people. Or he was a good actor.

"No. No. It's okay. I'll talk to you later." I said and hung up.

Nice Crystal ! Now Jace probably thinks you're nuts ! Great... but I still needed to find out where she went to.

I made another phone call and waited for them to answer.

"Tim here." Tim said, I could of course hear grand theft auto in the background.

"Tim, it's Crystal." I said. "Listen, is there a way you can tell me where Katrina's phone last pinged ?"

I heard him groan and the sound of a keyboard clicking. 5 minutes later, he responded.

"From what my records say she was about 4 blocks away from your place." Tim said. "The address is 8349 Jackson road."

I quickly wrote the address down and thanked Tim. I grabbed my pocket knife and phone and headed out.