Chapter 17

"Are you sure ?" I asked shocked, Luke's shooter was dead but something didn't feel right about this..

Detective Smith and his partner James then showed me the autopsy photo of the man who I recognized from that awful night. His body was battered with bruises and cuts. I looked away and took a seat on the couch.

"How'd he die ?" I asked. 

"Car accident. We were chasing him after a anonymous tip came in about him and that's when we discovered the gun that was used in your boyfriend's murder." Detective Smith said.

Served him right ! But again I had a feeling that something wasn't quite right. With what Katrina was following. I couldn't be sure that was the end of it. 

"His name was Gordon Louke, he was married and a Father to be. But this should put you at ease. Knowing he's no longer out there." Detective James added.

At ease ? How could I be at ease with that ? My boyfriend was gone or at least that's what they said..

"Something is not right." I said out of nowhere, they seemed surprised with my statement.

"What do you mean ?" Detective Smith asked. " Please explain."

I couldn't go into too much detail due to the way I found this information. But I could raise suspicion without getting Tim or Katrina in trouble. But what if she was in trouble ? I had to find out myself.

"I just have a feeling there's more to this." I said.

Luke's POV

2 years

2 years since I was ripped away from my life and family. I felt so alone and longed to finally be able to go home. But the trail had run cold and I was stuck living as Skyler Raines for 2 years. I went to work and returned home. 

I pulled out the photo of me and Crystal at the party before everything went down hill. Her smile was so beautiful and I can still smell the perfume she was wearing. I wondered if she had moved on. I mean she thought I was dead.

The selfish part of me hopes she didn't but if I can't be there for her. I hoped someone was. Even if that meant she moved on.God I miss her..

My phone went off and the caller id showed it was Detective Smith, I answered quickly. Hoping it was good news.

"Detective." I said. " Any news ?"

"Gordon Louke, your shooter is dead." He said. "But we still need to find out who hired him."

"I don't know who would want me dead." I said. "I never did anything that horrible to warrant what happened."

I didn't understand, not then or now. Why would someone put a hit on me ? 

"I'm coming by to talk about this with you." He said. "We have a problem."

That sounded ominous.. what was he talking about ?

"What do you mean ?" I asked.

"Your girlfriend. I think she's doing some investigating on her own." Detective Smith said. "I'll explain once I'm there, be ready."

Crystal ? Was she trying to find out who hired Gordon ? Oh no... she could get herself killed ! I couldn't let that happen. I need to find out who did this before anything bad happens.

No one was going to mess with my baby. I had to get back home.