Tangled: You. Yes, you.

At first sight, I didn’t expect that we’d click. I actually disliked you back then. You were noisy and optimistic. I was the total opposite. It started as being mere acquaintances, grew into friendship and something special, I believe, along the way. They kept asking us if we were together and left them hazy answers. Even after that school year, we were still considered an item. You even made me play that game with you which left them all smitten and confused, even our teachers.

I didn’t know what happened next. Maybe it was because I started hanging out with another circle of friends, maybe because you were put into an academic challenge. When you asked me if I had a thing with this guy, I told you he was  my best friend. You said you never trusted that kind of relationship, sooner or later, one would eventually fall in love with the other. After that, we went on with our lives and did not discuss that matter again. It was like our undeclared borderline.

After too long, we unexpectedly saw each other again. When you saw me, I was hoping you’d flash that beautiful uneven smirk that I always loved. And you did. I smiled too, that awkward-but-undeniably-happy smile. We were catching up when suddenly one of your fan girls/classmate hugged you from behind, and I saw that annoyance in your eyes. Then I saw you redeem yourself in a matter of seconds, flashing one of your forced smiles. One stolen glance at me and I knew what you meant. I sat down at one of the benches and killed time while you were trying your best to be free of that clingy girl. When she finally did, you took my guitar and became the gentleman that you are, bringing it for me until we parted ways… not knowing when we’ll see each other again.

Almost a year after our last meeting, destiny took its course. As always, you flashed your smirk as soon as you saw me and I smirked back. We talked, laughed and tried to annoy each other, as always. There was never a dull moment with you. When we were on our way home and were seated apart, we still took glances at each other and randomly smile once in a while. After all those years, we still know each other a little too well. 

I don’t know what this is, all I know is that you hold a special place in my heart. I should’ve told you I felt this way ever since, but I was a coward. And I still am. 

You must know that you’d always be the red muppet that brightens up my day and leaves me in a good mood with even just your smile. When I see you again, I hope that I’d have the courage to say this: I love you, Elmo.

-Julie