Tangled: Hello

I am actually doing a pretty good job at ignoring Sam, or acting cold towards him, at least. It’s been a week since I decided to keep my distance from him, but I can’t really avoid him, can I? I went to his unit the other day to get my guitar, but I never really looked him in the eye. I just waited outside his door even if I had a keycard, took my guitar as soon as he handed it, said thanks and went off. I know he was wondering why I did that, but he doesn’t really hover. I can say I’m proud of myself of making this far since everyday after that decision to avoid him was made, there was a constant battle between me and myself.

It’s funny how I don’t always think of Elmo that much nowadays, I guess I’m too preoccupied.. And miserable, maybe? But as always, a part of me was always hoping that we’d bump into each other again, and maybe this time, tell him how I really feel. Another debate inside me is on-going: who do I really love? Elmo or Sam? Honestly, I don’t know. But I keep on convincing myself that it’s Elmo, but whenever I do, a part of me feels a pang of sadness. And vice versa.

As Maqui and I were strolling around the mall at lunch break, we bumped into Sef. Great! I missed this guy.

“Uy, Sef! Sa’n ka galing?” asked Maqui.

“School. Teka, tawagan ko muna si Sam.” He answered, and then faced me.

“Ba’t biglang napasok si Sam? Honestly Juls, are you a package deal?” Maqui whispered in my ear, but was not noticed by Sef. I just shrugged.

“Wednesday diba? Mamaya pa yun. One pm pa yata klase nun.” Oops. Toldya, it takes every inch of my self-discipline to avoid Sam.

“Ay, memorize ang schedule? Kayo na talaga Japs.” Maqui teased.

“Permission to feel kilig ma’am!” Sef turned toward me.

“Shut up. You two.” Wrong move. I seem angry, or bitter for that matter.

“Oooh, not in the mood, eh? Or nag-away na naman kayo?”  I just raised my eyebrow at Maqui.

“What? Akala niyo ‘di namin napapansin yang pa cold war cold war niyo? Tas biglang bati na parang walang nangyari. Oh please. Kung ‘di namin kayo kilalang-kilala ni Sam aakalain naming kayo eh. Teka, kilalang-kilala nga ba namin kayo?” Tss, Sef. If I know, you have something for Maqui. You’re always her knight in shining… Vans?

I just shrugged and they figured I wouldn’t answer.

“Dyan! Dyan kayo magaling ni Sam! Mood swings! Meant to be nga kayo! Hahahaha. Sige na, I have to go. Bye Maq. Bye Juls.”

I was busy choosing tops from Vans when Maqui suddenly slapped my arms continuously.

“What?!” I glared at her, my arms turning red from her slaps.

“Isn’t that Elmo?” She pointed across the shop, since FMCC was in front of Vans. I almost totally forgot about that. Elmo’s family own the clothing line, as we all know. All that Maqui knew was Elmo was a special friend. I never really talked about my lovelife, even to my best friend.

I just stared.

“I guess he is, he’s heading our way.” Maqui answered her own question since I was still dumbfounded.

I immediately took the shoes and tops that I wanted to buy at the counter. I was rummaging my bag for my wallet then I saw someone hand the cashier a debit card. I turned to see who it was, thinking someone cheated on the line. But it was Elmo, smirking.

“Hey! Why’d you do that?” I glared at him, half-noticing that the cashier was looking at us, smiling… and twitterpated?

“Wala lang. Hi, Maq.” He turned and smiled at Maqui.

“Hello, Elmo. Hmm, Juls. Nagtext si Sef, magkita daw kami. Tulungan ko daw siyang mamili ng debut gift nung classmate niya.Will you be okay?” Wow, Maq. Nice excuse. I could totally rip your head off right now. I just raised my eyebrow at her.

“Maqui naman eh.” I just can’t hide the rage and disappointment on my face.

“It’s okay, Juls. Andito naman ako. Enjoy, Maq!” Did Elmo just say that? Oh god, this has awkward written all over it.

“Why’d you do that, Moe? I owe you, big time. Paano naman kaya ako makakabawi sa’yo? Yung pinamili ko pa sa Vans, umabot yata ng 5k yun. And you volunteered pa to accompany me dahil biglang umalis si Maqui.” I told him as we walked out of Vans, him bringing the things that he bought for me (technically) and into their shop.

“Ano ka ba, it’s okay, Juls. Mm, ate, pakikuha ng medium ng tatlong shirts na yan, pakibalot na rin.” He told their saleslady then smiled my favorite smile at me.

When the saleslady was about to hand him the paper bag, he motioned her to give it to me and smiled. I shot him a questioning look.

“That’s yours. Take it kundi magtatampo ako. Those designs are my favorite, ako pa nagdesign nung dalawa, Saab designed the other one, limited edition.” I just took the paperbag hesitantly and said thanks.

We left their store and went to grab coffee at Starbucks. This time, I made sure I had my wallet on hand at the counter, and immediately handed the money to the cashier before Elmo could.

“Hahahaha. That was fast, Julie.” He smirked and grabbed my hand to take our seat.

“Dapat lang, mahirap na. You’ve done too much for me today. And I don’t know paano ako makakabawi.”

“You know, I’ve changed. I bought a new cellphone in hopes of getting in contact with someone I missed too much. I was just too shy to ask for her number from our common friends.” I know he’s all too lazy to check on his cellphone, eventually deciding not to use it. Who’s the lucky girl?

“Wow, lucky girl.”

“Naww, I’m the one who’s lucky. You really want to know kung paano ka makakabawi?”

“Please. Nahihiya talaga ako sa ginawa mo para sa akin today. To think na ilang weeks tayong hindi nagkita.”

“So, how about dinner tomorrow?”