Tangled: Surprise

Eotteokhae? What should I do? What should I wear? I am obviously panicking. Not that I don’t want to go with Elmo, but can I back out? I’m palpitating and all. I need to calm down. Breathe in, breathe out. I could really use someone to accompany me now. Too bad I wasn’t able to call Maqui. Maybe I didn’t want to. But I regret that decision now. Big time.

As soon as I was able to calm down, and my room had my clothes scattered everywhere, I found a casual dress at the back of my closet. I almost forgot about this dress. I bought it months ago at the H&M store in Hong Kong. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it in the racks but never really knew when I’d be able to use it. Perfect. I put it on, fixed my hair and light make-up. Voila, I’m ready to go. Just as I was on my way out of my room, the doorbell rang. That must be Elmo.

I took a deep breath and smiled as I opened my door. As soon as I saw who was outside, my smile was fading.

“Hey, ain’t happy to see me after too long?”

“What’re you doing here, Sam?” I asked him nonchalantly.

“Hala, akala ko I had an open invitation here. Nagbago ka na ba talaga?” He asked me, his face now serious.

“Not really, wrong timing lang.”

“Why? Hala, wooooow! Sa’n ang date? Bihis na bihis ah. Nagmukha ka nang tao!”

“I don’t know. Why are you here?”

“Binibisita ka lang. I missed you. Akala ko sabi mo ako yung snob, mas masahol ka pa pala. Nagtatampo na ‘ko.”

“Just giving you a dose of your own medicine, I guess.”

AWKWARD SILENCE.

“Uhm, hi Juls! Ready?” Good thing Elmo came. Perfect timing. My heart leaped of Joy when I saw him behind Sam.

“Bye, Sam. Paki-lock nalang yung pinto kung aalis ka na. We gotta go. I’ll talk to you soon. Ingat. Bantay-bahay ka muna ha?” I said, trying to lighten up the mood.

He just nodded. That nod he does when he’s not in the mood. The nod he does when he’s annoyed and acting cold. I’m in heaps of trouble when I get back. I just hope this dinner goes out well. I’m pretty sure it’ll be since I’m with Elmo.

“Hey, earth to Julie.”

“Hmm?” I didn’t notice we were on the condo’s car park now.

“Are you okay? Are you not feeling well?” I can see Elmo’s concerned by looking at his face.

“Of course. I was just…”

“Is it Sam?”

“Nope. Of course not.” Julie. Think of an excuse. Quick.

“What is it?”

“I forgot to leave the computer open. Nagda-download nga pala ako ng Heartstrings.” That should be believable?

“Oh, akala ko pa naman kung ano na. Just text Sam to turn your computer on. Or pwede naman nating balikan if you want.” This is absolutely one of the reasons why I like Elmo.

“No need. Okay lang. So, where are we going?”

“You’ll never know until we’re there, star.” He opened the car door and motioned for me to get in. I just raise one of my eyebrows and smiled.

“Okaaaay? Thank you… Star?” He just smiled and went to the other side of the car and hopped into the driver’s seat. This could be a long night.