Chapter Three: The Masked Truth

It's been weeks since Edward left were an unpleasant silence filled the castle. The king was genuinely upset although wore a gracious face but Liz could read his eyes and cried hoping if Edward would return or not.

The ambassador declared that the war was gruesome and that it took the blood of many soldiers and commanders only to keep the England flag afloat. As for Elizabeth, she looked more like a widow than a bride to be. Her gouged like eyes with dark bags of weeping, her hair in a messy braid, and her pale, lifeless skin made her look like a corpse. Liz walked around aimlessly as if she had no hope in life or love.

Mary looked at her beloved sister in despair with tears. Liz was her mother figure since they had to surrender their mother in the claws of death when she gave birth to Mary. Mary kept on telling Edward was safe but couldn't dismiss that he was fighting for his life in the battlefield of blood. Just when Liz was lying on her bed;
Charlotte, Liz's childhood friend came bearing news.

" Charlotte! Oh my good heavens, where have you been?" Curiosity urged Liz to sit upright and demand answers.
" You never came to my betrothal, I missed you! " She gave her a tight embrace but Charlotte's face gave away her unhappiness.
"Charlotte, Is something wrong?"
"My heart is heavy as I carry this news to you, Liz"
" What does the news convey?" With hesitation, Elizabeth held her shoulders as she spoke without meeting her eyes.
"It's about Prince Edward, Liz"
" What is it?
Charlotte...I beg you to answer" Liz couldn't wait as her mind was flooded with millions of questions.
" Edward doesn't love you, Liz" Charlotte left out a deep breath as the heaviness ascended the sky.

With a deep pause, "Charlotte, What are you conveying?" A hard Tone echoed as disbelief filled the room.
" It's true Liz. I was residing in King Richard's palace as a maid to spy on Prince Edward"
"Why Charlotte? You are lying...I...I can't...I don't believe you"
" Even if you believe it or not, it's the truth. Edward is going to marry you for the throne and not for love. In order to acquire the kingdom, he is marrying you, Liz."

With tears in her eyes sat down near her.
" I overheard the king and his son discuss and laugh in pure devilish ascent. He is not a good man"
"Why? Why ....." Her knee clashed down on the clear floor beneath her as she collapsed feeling lifeless. Her lungs filled with pain and betrayal as she was choked to death by her love. She sobbed, sobbed until she could no more. Her tears left salty trails as she led a lifeless existence as days passed. She barely moved as her room turned into her dungeon.

King Robert couldn't cancel the wedding as it would be a shame to break the pact but held a grudge on Edward. As Charlotte and Mary being her only support approached her, Liz took a deep breath, said:" I am desperate for a walk around my garden, May I?"
" You may Liz, Can we join?" Both inquired in unison.
" I prefer to be alone ". Saying these words, She slowly trailed off to her new realm of life: Her Garden - the place full of life which holds her in its dearest arms.

She owned all the exotic scents of flowers around the globe and bore all vegetables one could never yield. She walked around as she traced her fingers along with the petals of the softest touch. She then climbed on the broad swing covered with creepers twirling around the chains on both sides. She took a fine grip and sealed it with her thumb. The freshly watered plants revealed their fragrances that brought back the sweetest memories of her and her mother. While she was lost in her memories, she heard a creak from one of those bushes in the corner.

She urged her way to the roses and thought it was some rabbits for their brunch, so she kneeled down to see her new visitors when suddenly she saw a hand stretch from behind with a handkerchief restricting her breath. She moved her hands in defence to bring down the intruder but her senses started becoming dull, her visions blurred and soon started losing her consciousness. She felt her hands being tied, while darkness enveloped her.
*****
Hey guys... Look who's back!!💓 I'm sorry that I couldn't update last week as I was on a vacation. So, more 2 chapters this week! Yaaay!
💕 Make sure you click that little star below, comment and share as much as possible!💞💞