-22-

"Can we stop now?" I asked over the sound of the wind, looking over Jade's shoulder.

I see her lungs expanding as she took a deep breath and sighed. Then she shook her head. I grunted in frustration. The sun had long since set, and the moon was shining in the sky, but Jade insisted on driving on. I could only guess that it mean we were close to the Plaza, and she just couldn't wait to get to Deadflare. So we continued on.

Honks bombarded us from every side, and there were more than several times we were almost run over by large buses cruising down the lanes. Jade expertly handled the motorcycle, to no surprise, going through traffic as if she was born to do it. I clung to the handles tightly, willing the ride to be over soon.

Twenty minutes later, my wish was granted. Jade slowed down when coming through an alleyway entrance, one that was blocked on one side by a tall, wired fence. She parked near one of the walls and motioned for me to get off. When I did, she took off her helmet and booted the kickstand into place.

"What are we doing here?" I questioned, my eyelids drooping from tiredness.

"You think I'm paying the ridiculous amount to park in the lot?" she said, getting off herself. "I don't know what it's like where you come from, kid, but in New York, nothing's cheap."

"Do you really have to call me kid?"

"Unless you want me to call you Lightsaber," she responded, opening the seat hatch and grabbing a knife and a belt from inside. Placing her helmet in the compartment, she first clicked the belt into place around her hips, then placed the knife in one of her boots. She took off the gun from the belt and unhooked the holster, placing them both in the hatch. Finally, Jade grabbed her gloves and pulled them on, slipping her sleeves over.

"So what's the plan?" I asked.

"You stay here." She put her hair up, then looked to me as she shut the seat pocket. "I go in and find Deadflare."

I stared at her. "The last time you told me to stay behind, the League almost killed me."

"I don't know how they found out we were going to Conway's, but there's no way they can..." She trailed off, eyes widening in alarm.

"What?" I asked, the sleepiness leaving me immediately.

She swore under her breath, an angry expression coming on her face. "Conway. If Lake got him a high enough price, he would've sold us out. They would know we're after Flame. They might've even warned him."

"Whoa, whoa." I held up my hands. "Slow down. Who's Lake?"

"Lady Scarlet. Her real name's Aurora Lake."

"How do you even know that?"

Jade rolled her eyes. "I used to be an agent, remember?"

"Wait, so you're saying the League definitely is still following us—because they bribed Conway. They just haven't showed up yet."

"It's just a possibility." She rubbed her forehead. "But... it's hard to doubt it. It still doesn't explain how they found us at Conway's."

There was a moment of silence. I looked up at the walls surrounding the alleyway.

"I don't know how dangerous Deadflare is," I said. "But if he knows we're here..." I glanced back to her.

"And if I leave you alone, the League could come after you." She sighed in frustration. "See, this is why I choose to stay alone."

"Is he as good at fighting as you are?"

"I'm better, but... he has an advantage."

"Like what?"