Plans Made and Ruined

Date- 6th June 1889, Germa Camp.

Dearest Luffy,

Hope you find this letter in good health, it's been over a year I last saw your face, it's been a year we parted from the Baltigo camp, while you rode on your stallion to South Blue, and I marched to North Blue with my troop. A year of us apart has been longer and lonelier than my entire twenty-seven years on this planet.

I have heard the news; your battalion won the battle on Java Island! Where do you march next? Will you write back to me? Will we ever meet again? I am ravaged by ill thoughts and heartache tonight my love, as I sit in front of my dimwitted lamp, I realized how much I miss you, how much I miss your smile, oh how much I miss your smile! And how much I miss the warmth of your body, how much I miss your kisses. Oh, I miss you a lot.

I received your postcard last week, it overjoyed me that you were stationed at Grandline station, it made me so relieved that you were waiting for me there, among your superiors and juniors, while making battle plans you thought of me, oh the relief I felt when I realized you never forgot me. I know you never forgot me, I do, but this heart is hard to console.

You never forgot to send me a postcard a week, just like you promised. You have written every week to me, though it's only a sentence, it keeps me moving and going. As I operate on dying soldiers and pray to save at least one out of the ten injured that come to me, I fear that somewhere out there you are on the frontline risking your life every day and if something were to happen to you, I would give up living. I would without a second thought.

I am sorry my love, I was not there in Grandline station like you expected of me. I must have broken your heart, you planned everything, for us to be in the same battalion and we could have been together. You made plans and I ruined it. Fate is a cruel, cruel, cruel mistress!

How can I ever explain to you that I received the most important postcard of my life from you three days after the date you scheduled for us? How can I say sorry to you? How will I assure you that I didn't hurt you on purpose, I wanted to meet you. By the time I read the date you wrote down, my overjoyed heart shattered to pieces. I want to meet you, I wish I could express my feelings to you as openly I do in my letters. I miss you.

I love, I love you so much, my dearest. I will weep tonight holding the fifty-seven postcards you have written to me till last week. 

I love you.

Forever yours,

Traffy.

****

Excerpts from Luffy's postcard

20 MAY 1889.

TO, 

MY TRAFFY,

I LOVE YOU.

HEADED FOR GRANDLINE STN.

HAVE ARRANGED FOR YOUR TRANSFER TO MY BATTALION.

MEET ME AT GRANDLINE STN BY 22 MAY 1889.

DO NOT WORRY, IF YOU CANNOT MAKE IT HERE.

WE WILL MEET IN THIS LIFETIME.

LOVE LUFFY.