Memento

Date- 11th June 1889, Germa Camp.

Dearest Luffy,

Chopper has started sleeping in our room, right now I am looking at him, poor little boy, he weeps in his periods of sleep. He clutches a little doll when he is deep in sleep, Bepo has warmed up to him. Bepo is looking out for him these days, and right now he did a ninja move and swapped the doll with some rugs so that he can clean the doll.

We all need an anchor; we are ships, always in fear of losing our directions in the sea. Every day when Sanji comes to deliver Zoro's soup you can see him holding on to the pendant that he wears, he mumbles a prayer. Later I saw him near the window; it's a locket with photographs in it. I didn't peep I didn't, I just I understood.

My patients too look for something that assures them that have a connection with this world. I still don't understand how it works, that one tiny piece of cloth, a locket, a pen, and a beer bottle cap can become the keepsake of relationships. How can we compress our entire memories and dreams and hopes, in a tiny object?

But who am I kidding, you pinned our love too didn't you? Every day I look at my engagement ring and think of all the kisses we shared, all the nights spent in each other's embrace, all the silent and secret glances we stole from each other, the sudden brushing of hands in the corridor, the sneaking out onto the deck in the middle of the night with a bottle of beer.

I can't believe, we have been engaged and apart for so long. That night, I was shocked and scared when you popped up the question. I was already crying because it was our last night, but you came prepared and planned. You had planned out our entire lonely engagement! You bought the papers, the ink, the nibs so that I never ran out of supplies to write to you! You bought the stamps to potential outposts you were going to be sent too! How far did you see into the future?

My eyes are tearing up, I miss you so much. I had never been loved before meeting you. You waltzed into my life banging pots and pans, and suddenly I was chasing you, and now I am here I am pining for you.

My only regret, I couldn't give you a ring that suits you, that bronze ring I wore and the one I gave you, which now rests on your finger, is not what I had in my mind for you. But you have a strange fascination with bronze, though you are a golden-hearted man.

Today was a good day, all my patients survived; now I need to send them to rehabilitation centres. But my fear is still here, but I will overcome it. I miss you. I love you.

Tonight I send you a kiss that grew in my heart, bloomed on my lips and ended on this paper.

AND ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTIONS FROM POSTCARD SENT ON 9TH- YES! YES! YES! YES!

Love

Traffy

***

Excerpts from Luffy's Postcard.

9 JUNE 1889.

TO,

MY LOVE,

I WANTED TO ASK YOU THIS, WILL YOU MARRY ME THE DAY WE REUNITE AND CAN WE ADOPT CHOPPER?

WE BOTH KNOW THE PAIN THAT LOSS OF PARENTS CAUSE. BUT WE CAN TRY TO BE DECENT PARENTS TO A BOY THAT NEEDS A FAMILY.

TALK TO HIM. I ASSURE YOU THE WAR WILL END. AND WE CAN BE A FAMILY.

ALMOST LOST OUR ENGAGEMENT RING TODAY, BECAUSE I HAD TO ENTER HEADQUARTERS AND THEY MADE ME TAKE OF THING THAT HAD METAL. THE BASTARDS MISPLACED MY RING. AFTER SHOUTING FOR THREE HOURS, THEY FOUND IT.

WE WILL MEET SOON.

AND IF YOUR ANSWER IS NO TO THE SECOND QUESTION, I WILL UNDERSTAND. I KNOW THE ANSWER TO THE FIRST ONE IS YES, ISN'T IT?

LOVE,

LUFFY.

****

Note: Sorry I am late, not a healthy day for me.