Rivals

Date- 9th June 1889, Germa Camp.

Dearest Luffy,

Do you have a few berries to spare? Your postman Usopp is miraculous, give him some spare changes please because his salary doesn't compromise the task he did! I received fourteen postcards from you! You have been writing to me in-between weeks! Oh dear, I can't describe to you how that makes me feel right now! I love you. I love you more than I did yesterday, and I will love you more than today.

Zoro is doing well, he is still knocked out! Not surprising, I have pumped tranquillizers into him the ones we used for horses, okay that was a joke, and he is on tranquillizers, but not one used for horses. This war-ravaged hospital that has been my residence for a year now is seeing a lot of miracles, again miracle is not the word we use, but I am realizing war brings out our worst fears and compels us to shed our pride, and accept vulnerability.

Remember the blonde cook? Whose food you loved in Rocky Port and Zoro had constant banter with because greenhead was never satisfied with his allotted ration of alcohol? Those days were still peaceful. Well, his name is, Vinsmoke Sanji. Sounds familiar? I thought so, too. He is the third son of Germa Camp's Admiral. Apparently, he failed his army exams, his four siblings are a big shot, right? He was kept away from Germa camp because the Admiral was ashamed of him! Pathetic! What kind of father is ashamed of their child just because he couldn't get into the army? Physical strength is not everything!

But Sanji worked hard and had joined the army as a cook in Rocky Port when they were recruiting anyone and everyone. He is a trained nutritionist! That's why he was so strict in Rocky Port with Zoro, he was recovering from his injury and he was demanding alcohol!

Oh, pardon me, I am drifting away from my actual topic, Sanji is here! He fought with people at Rocky Port and took his transfer to Germa Camp, he came all the way here, leaving a secured base for this floating camp. Of course, Admiral can't say anything, now he is the head-cook! He took charge just after I posted my letter to you yesterday.

And guess what surprised me most? Sanji dropped his bag outside Zoro's room, undid his shoes and uniform, got into the clean cotton suit, washed his hands. Very softly he went and sat beside Zoro and took hold of his hands and kissed his forehead and whispered: I am here, we are going to make it.

How did I hear the whisper? I was eavesdropping! The moment I saw him walk towards the general wards, I followed him. Very ungentlemanly of me, but I guess, I needed to see this. I always assumed they were rivals, at each other thoughts and throats! And the way Sanji kept insisting he missed the company of ladies! He fooled us all, now that I think about it?

You, Monkey D. Luffy! You knew, didn't you? Not only that, but you were always enjoying their dinner time show. While everyone assumed they were rivals, you knew the truth. Well again it makes sense, every night that I sneaked into your room, Zoro was never there.

Thinking about rivals, remember the pink haired boy Coby? The one who followed you around and got on my nerves because I feared you might fall for his innocent charm and I would lose you. He has been promoted to the rank of a vice-captain! Just like you! You were at vice-captain at 19! I am extremely sorry for the way I behaved back then because I was insecure, every nurse, cabin boy, a soldier that spoke with you was a rival in my eyes.

Two years later and one year of living apart, I can assure I am still a little insecure, but I trust you with my heart, you will never hurt me. I wish I could have the courage to take a transfer and run to where you are. But no matter what, I know you, you want me here because you haven't mentioned us meeting in Marineford yet. I will wait for your call, till then I will look after my patients and pray for your health.

And you are not a selfish man, you are the bravest man I ever met. You will win the war.

Waiting for you,

Traffy.

****

Excerpts from Luffy's Postcard.

23 APRIL 1889.

TO,

MY TRAFFY,

I LOVE YOU.

I MISS YOUR VOICE. 

I AM IN MIDDLE OF WAR AND ALL I THINK AND HERE IS YOUR VOICE: COME BACK TO ME LUFFY.

TONIGHT I LOST 80 MEN. I AM BEYOND SAD. BUT MY EVIL HEART WENT: GLAD IT WAS NOT ME.

I AM A SELFISH MAN IN LOVE. I WILL NOT DIE, I WILL END THIS WAR, MY MEN DIDN'T DIE IN VAIN.

YOUR FAMILY DIDN'T DIE IN VAIN.

THE CELESTIAL DRAGONS WILL FALL, I WILL MAKE SURE.

LOVE,

LUFFY.