• twenty two •

"Have you seen Phoenix?"

"I haven't, Chris." Elizabeth answered. "But I did see your post about the sea animals yesterday. Adopting them for Phoenix must've made her night!"

"It did. At first." He responded. "Now I think she's avoiding me."

"I don't think that's true. What gave you that idea?" She asked. "I haven't seen her at all today either. If that's the case, she must be avoiding me too."

"We had a..." Chris trailed off, not sure what he wanted to say. "We had a weird moment last night and she bailed."

"That doesn't sound like her."

"Yeah, that's what I thought too. I guess I don't know her as well as I thought."

"PHOENIX!" Elizabeth shouted at the sight of the woman who was carrying two car batteries. She had come from around the corner in rush, catching Lizzie's attention right away.

"Hey Lizzie. Hi Chris." Phoenix offered a small smile before continuing on her way, trying her best to avoid eye contact.

Chris jogged after her and grabbed the batteries from her hands. "I got it."

"Thanks."

"What are you doing with car batteries?"

"I have no idea." Phoenix answered. "I was just told to bring them to Downey's trailer."

"But Downey's not here yet..." Chris reminded.

"Yeah, I know. I'm just doing what I was told to do, Chris."

"That's fair."

"Yeah... But I'm umm glad I ran to you. I wanted to say that I'm sorry about leaving the way I did last night." She spoke while tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. "That wasn't right."

"If something is bothering you, I want you to know you can talk to me about it."

"I know." Phoenix nodded.

"There's no need to worry about things that haven't occurred yet." Chris told her as he had an idea of what was bothering her. "If you concern yourself with details of the future, you'll miss the present. Live in the now. Enjoy the moment."

"Live in the now. Enjoy the moment." Phoenix repeated to herself.

"Imagine how little stress you'd feel by solely focusing on what you're doing now. Sometimes you gotta just shh your mind." Chris added. "Know that everything will be okay and if you ever forget that, I'll be there to remind you."

Phoenix looked over at the man who was literally willing to carry a car battery a quarter of a mile for her and smiled. By focusing on future details that might not even matter, she was dooming her present moment.

A few days had passed since Phoenix made the conscious decision not to think about the future and she noticed the difference immediately. On top of that, it was finally Tom's birthday and she couldn't wait to give him the gift that she had worked so hard on: a customized purple Jedi lightsaber with his name engraved on the hilt.

For over a month, she had been asking him random questions about what his dream lightsaber would look like, adding it into their everyday conversations so he wouldn't suspect anything. She took all of that and created his dream lightsaber with a pulse mode from purple to red, an obsidian soundboard, and an ultra heavy blade grade so he could actually use it for duels. It costed her over $500 but the look on his face would make it all worth it.

@darthphoenix: Happy birthday to one of my favorite people on the planet 🥳🎉 Your birth was a gift to this world and words can't even describe how much your friendship means to me. Another year older but still the same loser you were yesterday.
2:32pm • 6/01/17 • Twitter for iPhone
2,112 Retweets 7K Likes