[Part 11] - Friend or Foe?

"STOP IT."

I ceased all my actions and hung limply like a rotten vegetable at the stranger's voice. It wasn't a guttural gurgle that came from the crazies' mouth; instead, it was a very deep baritone voice that commanded to be heard and demanded to be followed.

He opened a door and dragged me inside, depositing me to a chair and took a few steps away from me. After a few seconds the room was bathed in a soft glow from a lamp that the man held.

I squinted my eyes at his shadowed form, blinking my eyes to adjust at the sudden invasion of light. He's huge. He could totally overpower me if he plans on killing or worst, try to touch me. My whole body shakes at the thoughts that run in my mind as I stared wide-eyed at his form.

I whimpered when he suddenly moved towards me. I curled inwards, my eyes closed tightly; body aching at the unnatural angle I positioned myself in the cold chair, like that will help me keep the man from reaching me.

When the pain I expected didn't come, I opened my eyes and look for the imposing man. He was sitting behind a desk beside me. The lamp was placed at the table between us, letting me see his face for the first time. He has a day's worth of stubble on his chin and a few lines on his forehead. I'm guessing he could be in his forties but the look in his eyes says that he had gone through something worst and it only added a decade on his demeanor.

"W-what—", I swallowed, taking my eyes away from him and fidgeted at my seat. I wanted to ask him if he was a cop or if he knows something about what's happening outside, but then I remembered the cops when I told them of what happened the night I found that first crazy lady.

"D-do you know what's happening?" I finally asked my head still bent downwards.

He sighed. "I don't have much answer to that question myself. Not for the lack of trying to find out the cause of it. But first, can you tell me your name?" He asked, leaning towards me, making me think that I'm being interrogated.

I wring my hands in front of me, a sign that I'm nervous. "My name is R-Ry. Rylai Heston." I whispered.

"I'm Sergeant Phillip Keegan; everyone calls me Sarge for obvious reason." He stood up for a few seconds and came back to offer me a bottled water. "How did you get in here?"

Taking the water from his hand, I mumbled my thanks to him. I debated in telling him the truth. Not sure if I could trust him. However, I fail to see any harm if I give him too much information or if I tell a lie. He wouldn't know the difference anyway, once I get out of here and find my friends. Glancing at his face, I decided to tell him the truth but not too much.

"I came from Gregorn City with my friends, trying to survive by driving away from the chaos this catastrophe created. I was separated from them after being trapped by hundreds of those things out there. When I saw the opened gate at the back, I didn't hesitate to come inside just to avoid being mauled. I swear I didn't plan on taking anything from here. I was just hoping I could take a refuge while they pass and to rest for a while." I stated. I maintained eye contact with him throughout my speech, afraid that he would think I lied to him.