─────◈ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙄

CHAPTER ONE

( THE INTERVIEW )

════ ⎊⟁⎊ ════

    THE PEN IN her hand taps wildly against the suave and sleek black leather case of her portfolio. The noise catching the attention of the over-polite receptionist, who turns her chin up to see what was making the sound. January smiles apologetically at the woman, stopping the pen with her two fingers. She had never been so nervous before. In her mind, she had every right to be. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity after all. Her stomach churns, as she tries to find some meaning to distract herself. She places the pen inside her portfolio, her fingers delicately skimming over the new business cards that she had paid a pretty penny for. She liked seeing her name etched in black against the card. January Jenner. She had yet to use one and wrote it off as a luxury to have a stack. 

    Especially in the case that she was currently unemployed and living in the most expensive state in America - California. Living in California has its perks, more job opportunities, higher wages, hot and sunny most of the time. It also had a variety of scenery, drive to the east towards Nevada there's an arid and dry desert, drive North towards Oregon and there are thick and lush forests that reminded her of home. A home that she never wished to return to. 

    Wisconsin was too small for her in her opinion, however, her parents and her brothers thought otherwise. She had made it a point to only go home when it was the holiday season. Her eyes gaze out of the large glass window, watching the cars from the interstate zoom by without any care of what company they were passing. Granted, the building appeared to be much smaller on the outside, the interior, however, was large, spacious. 

    There was an unwelcoming presence about how barren the inside was, it was inhuman - lacking anything sentimental or warm. She swallowed the lump that was starting to build up in the back of her throat. She had to convince herself that this is how most corporate office must look like on the inside. Especially if their main export was weapons. She was actually surprised at how much light filtered through the open windows, as if they were begging for someone to come look in their windows, a challenge, to see what they were developing - if they even could.  

    Nervously, January began writing things down into her portfolio. Skills that she could share with them, even if she had never actually had experience in this field yet. Skills that included her being able to work under immense pressure, relying on nothing but her quick wit to get out of sticky situations - things that she had only ever displayed in college and sometimes at her old job. Her stomach flips involuntarily once again, causing her to let out a small gasp at the feeling. The longer she waited the more anxious she was becoming. She had a tendency to do this, to hype something up to the point she felt sick.