─────◈ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙑𝙄

CHAPTER SIX

( JAN'S BIG GIRL JOB )

════ ⎊⟁⎊ ════

THE MIDDAY RUSH of the bar had finally come to a slow. January was thankful for this as she thought she had arrived too early. She wore a grin from ear to ear as she perched herself up on the barstool, waiting to catch Babs's attention. However, it appeared that she was far more interested in talking to her patrons from across the bar than greeting her.

She didn't take this to heart, she had to be making money somehow while being on the job. Instead, January grabbed the small cocktail menu, grazing over the options that she could order. She could possibly order something more expensive than what she usually got, but seeing as how she just got the job and her first paycheck was bound to be weak she resisted the temptation.

"If it isn't little Smiles Magee," a voice catches her attention from beside her, causing her to drop the menu in her hand. She recognized the voice, purely from the soft Irish accent rubbed in it. A small, playful smile crosses her lips as she turns to face the man. "Penn!" she greets in an excited tone.

Her eyes eat up his figure as he stands next to her at the bar, his hands in the front pockets of his apron as a small smirk appears on his lips. She tries her best not to stare at the tattoos on his forearms, deeming them the most attractive part of him. Penn was an overall bad boy, that she never got the chance to date. Mainly, because she's denied him several times even though she had always had quite the crush on him, especially when she first moved to California.

However, she made a promise to herself that she wouldn't date anyone until she knew she was financially secure and locked down. Perhaps it was time to make her move. "Haven't seen you in a while," January notes. "Where have you been?"

"The night shift," he answers politely. "Can never make decent money working the lunch shift,"

"And yet, you're here," she teases.

"Someone needed me to cover. I'm in no position to say no," Penn easily shrugs off in response, as if it were no big deal that he gave up his free time to take a shift at the bar. His eyes peer into hers quizzically, a mischievous glint appearing in them. "What about you? Find a job yet?" he questions, a coy smirk crossing his lips.

Jan could easily get lost in the way he was looking at her. Most of the time if a man eyed her like this she'd call him a creep, but since it was Penn - a man she'd been after for a while - she certainly soaked in the attention. She clears her throat, trying to shake her mind away from how delicious he looked at the moment.