─────◈ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙄𝙑

CHAPTER FOUR

( THE MYSTERY MAN )

════ ⎊⟁⎊ ════

JANUARY'S FEET SHUFFLE along the concrete of the sidewalk as she tries her best not to slip and fall in the shoes that Babs let her borrow. Beside her is her best friend who's heels are a lot higher than hers, but she walks high, confidently. January, too stubborn to admit that she should've chosen a different pair struggles to keep up with Babs's long legs. There was bound to be a few wandering eyes looking at the duo as they skipped the people waiting in the line outside of the unmarked building. Lights spewed out from parts of the door, illuminating the street in colorful patterns. 

January could care less about the hateful glares she was receiving as she passed them, she was more concentrated on not falling flat on her face at the moment. She had a sinking feeling about going out tonight, one being that she was probably going to be forced to drink even though she really didn't want to, or that she was going to injure herself and end up walking into the interview with a busted up lip or a bruised chin. 

The most irking part was actually having to see Babs's co-workers. They were beautiful, yet catty and not the brightest. She could never hold a conversation with one of them for too long without becoming overwhelming bored. Babs was truly an anomaly. This wasn't going to be a night she could actually enjoy. Her hand instinctively reaches out to grab in to Babs's, as she attempts to climb the stairs up to the pounding club. She tries to steady herself as she stops a step away from her friend as the bouncer at the door stops them. "Babs Ramsay!" she can barely hear her friend even speak to the burly man over the beating bass of the club music. 

She avoids any glares she receives from the people waiting in line, some much more good looking than her, more deserving and more desperate to get in the club to dance the night away. The bouncer eyes January for a moment before looking to the model. She flashes him a dazzling smile, the one that got her into the business. "She's my plus one, she should be marked on there!" she shouts to him, whole pointing at the sheet of paper on the clipboard. January shrinks in size as the bouncer continues to look on to her as if she didn't belong. She didn't. She knew that. She didn't some meat head sizing her up to tell her that. 

In one gruff motion the bouncer juts his head back and moves to the side, allowing passage into the overcrowded club. It's a miracle that she got in, she knew that Babs was lying to make her a plus one, like they actually had those marked on their. Perhaps he was being generous. Whatever it was, January was thankful for it. Babs wraps her arms around January's shoulder, gently moving them from side to side in an effort to get her to loosen up and dance with her as they moved towards the crowded dance floor.