the beginning

The smoke lifts up toward lines of Papel Picado ­- cut paper banners -- that sway gently in the breeze.

" Sometimes, I think I’m cursed. ‘Cause of something that happened before I was even born."

A story begins to play out on the papel picado.

"See, a long time ago, there was this family."

The images on the papel picado come to life to illustrate a father, a mother, and a little girl. The family is happy.

"The Papa, he was a musician."

The papá plays guitar while the mother dances with her daughter.

"He and his family would sing and dance and count their blessings. But he also had a dream. To play for the world. And one day… he left with his guitar… and never returned. "

The man walks down a road, guitar slung on his back. In another vignette his daughter stands in the doorway, watching her papá leave. Two feet step up next to her. It is her mamá, hardened.

She shuts the door.

"And my Mama… She didn’t have time to cry over that walk-away musician. After banishing all music from her life… "

The woman gets rid of all of her husband's instruments and records.

"she found a way to provide for her daughter. She rolled up her sleeves… and she learned to make shoes. She could have made candy. "

Amongst the papel picado, a stick swings at a strung up piñata which bursts with candy...

"O-o-or fireworks."

Fireworks go off in the background...

"Or sparkly underwear for wrestlers. "

Sparkly underwear and a luchador mask hang on a line amongst other linens...

"But no. She chose shoes. "

On the papel picado, the little girl becomes a young woman.

"Then she taught her daughter to make shoes. And later, she taught her son-in-law. "

She introduces a suitor to the family business.

"Then her grandkids got roped in. As her family grew, so did the business. "

In the next vignette, a bunch of goofy grandchildren join in the shoemaking. The shoe shop is full of family!

"Music have torn her family apart. But shoes held them all together. You see that woman… was my great-great-grandmother… Mama Imelda."

where a photo sits at the top of a beautiful altar. The photo features MAMÁ IMELDA -- serious, formidable. She holds a baby on her lap. Her husband stands beside her, but his face has been torn away.

"She died way before I was born. But my family still tells her story… every year on Dia de Los Muertos -- the Day of the Dead… And her little girl? "

Fade from the face of the little girl to present day MAMÁ COCO (97), a living raisin, convalescing in a wicker wheelchair.

"She’s my great-grandmother, Mama Coco. "A boy (12) walks into frame and kisses her on the cheek. This is our narrator, MIGUEL. " Hola, Mama Coco. " Miguel said and kiss Coco’s cheek "  How are you, Julio? " Mama Coco said to Miguel "  Actually, my name is Miguel. Mama Coco has trouble remembering things. But it’s good to talk to her, anyway. So, I tell her pretty much everything. "Miguel said still narrating " hey Miguel!"_______ said waving caching Miguel attention.