32

"Prepare to drop the anchor! Get the boats ready!" Yunho called out as they neared the beach beneath Twilight's palace. They had made it here faster than expected and without any more attacks. He didn't know if that was a good think or a bad thing though.

He watched as the crew scrambled around the deck, following his orders. Then his face started to burn when he felt a hand slip into his.

"Home." Mingi breathed, a small smile crossing his face.

Yunho hummed and leaned his head against the guard's shoulder.

They stood in silence for a moment, then Yunho broke contact as he saw Hongjoong approaching them with Katrina. He pulled his sister into a hug and kissed the top of her head. "How are you doing?"

"Better. Much better. The princess has offered a position for me in her palace, so I have a safe place to stay."

"Good. Princess Lakita is something else." Yunho smiled as he looked at where the princess was standing on the side of the deck nestled in Wooyoung's arms.

The news of the performer's lineage had come as a shock to everyone at first, but then it brought hope. If he could learn to use his gift quickly, then maybe there wouldn't even need to be a war. He and the princess were their best hope at surviving.

"So, we will meet with the king, then I'm sure we will come up with a game plan. King San has got to be close." Hongjoong said, surveying the crew.

The others nodded.

When they were able to drop the anchor, they piled into the row boats and slowly made their way to shore. Most of the crew stayed on the ship, but all the guards came.

Seonghwa led the way up the slope. A few other guards ran down the hill to greet them.

Yunho stayed close to his sister and Hongjoong, feeling out of place here. His heart ached a little when watching Mingi smile and greet some of his old friends.

.

.

.

.

For whatever reason, Kita felt nervous as she walked into the palace. It had the familiar feeling of home, but at the same time, she felt like a stranger there.

Her eyes drifted to the portrait hanging on the side of the main room. She paused as she looked at her mother. She couldn't even remember the last conversation she had had with her...

As if sensing her thoughts, Wooyoung wrapped an arm around her shoulder and pulled her to him. She closed her eyes and breathed him in, letting it calm her.

"Lakita? Seonghwa?"

Kita looked up and saw her father standing at the top of the stairs. He ran down to them and she and her brother broke away from the group and ran into his arms. They sank to the floor, happy to be together again.

"Oh, my baby girl. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. Can you ever forgive me?" He said, fighting through his sobs.

"I do, Father. I do." She said through her own tears.

The three of them stayed on the floor for a long moment. Yeosang ushered everyone into the main ballroom to give them some privacy.

When he pulled back, the king took Kita's face in is hands and kissed her forehead. Then he turned to Seonghwa. "Tell me everything."

Her brother nodded, then led the way into the ballroom. Kita watched as her father eyed the band of misfits all huddled together. They bowed as he walked by.