Chapter Three

"I can't believe that movie was three hours," April sighed as the trio emerged from the movie theater, stuffed full of too-buttery popcorn and sour gummy worms. "It was much better than I originally thought it would be, though." Both Echo and Mr.O'Neil let out shocked gasps in unison.

"You didn't think it was going to be good?" April's dad asked absolutely dumbfounded, falling in stride next to his daughter while Echo stood on April's opposite side as they began the walk home. Echo nudged the girl's shoulder, just as teasingly shocked as the man.

"I literally read the online reviews to you at lunch on Monday. It's one of the biggest movies to ever launch in theaters since Disney bought Marvel and Star Wars," Echo exclaimed. "Critics were losing their minds over it! The fact that it's actually been going toe-to-toe with such major franchises!"

"I know, I know," April elbowed her back in the ribs, grinning. "It definitely didn't disappoint me. Although I'm still going to say Infinity War was better."

"Of course, Infinity War was better," Echo agreed wholeheartedly. "I don't think you and I have ever cried so hard in a movie theater before at the end." It was then that Mr.O'Neil suddenly began to stumble and clamped a hand on his daughter's shoulder dramatically, but before either April or Echo could ask what was wrong...

"Mr.Stark...I don't feel so good..." Echo found the joke in his actions and let out a laugh, especially when April grumbled under her breath and nearly let her father collapse to the pavement beneath them. He apologized profusely for it, considering how much of a mess everyone was after seeing that movie, but both he and Echo still chuckled inwardly as they continued to walk.

This was the kind of conversing everyone would miss, the kind where they were comfortable and excited to be around each other with never a dull moment in sight. This environment, with April and her father around... Echo felt as if she was genuinely part of the family. Like she and April were truly sisters, not just best friends. She could vaguely remember having a sister before her parents' split, but that blood bond that had been lost in the divorce was nothing compared to the life-long friendship she'd formed over the past ten years with April O'Neil.

A silence fell between the group, one where everyone knew what the other was thinking, and Echo took a deep breath, trying not to cry as they all realized this was it. That was the last movie they'd ever see together. That was the last bucket of popcorn they'd share, the last gummy worms they'd toast to each other before eating. A heavy weight fell over Echo's heart and April placed a supportive hand on her shoulder, though she was in just as much agony as her best friend.

"Echo...I-"

The sad talking would have to wait as a white van suddenly shot down the street, its tires squealing as it turned the corner where they would've crossed the street to the O'Neils' apartment complex and blocked their way. The doors to the suspicious vehicle slid open and three men in black suits stepped out, all wearing boring looks on their faces that seemed too similar to each other.

"Uh...I think I'm a little too full to eat any of their candy..." Echo joked under her breath as April's father stood between the girls and the three men protectively. It was a coping mechanism she'd had since she was little, laughing in serious moments when she felt helpless. She was a big hit at funerals.

"What is the meaning of this?" Mr.O'Neil questioned loudly and began to push back against the girls, gesturing for them to slowly step away from the oncoming men. "Back off! Or we'll call the police!" He threatened, but their new triplet friends weren't phased by any of it.

"Dad..." April whispered in fear and grabbed onto the sleeve of his jacket, her opposite hand taking hold of Echo's. The space between the two groups was beginning to shrink from four yards to three and a half, then three yards, decreasing in length with each step. If they were going to make a move, they needed to do it soon.