mingi

mingi stared at the science question that made absolute no sense to him. he had always been bad at science, but to make things worse, this paper was in english. he was really stressed out and was on the verge of tears. but men don't cry. that's what his seonghwa hyung told him.

hongjoong accompanied mingi to stay up and study. hongjoong's exam paper was the exact same as mingi's, but he had prepared in advance. although hongjoong wasn't sure if he would pass the science paper, he couldn't care less.

but mingi cared. he's always been an excellent student at school.

"mingi?" hongjoong called out softly. he had noticed the distress on mingi's face since awhile ago.

mingi looked at hongjoong, deciding to not trust himself to speak, afraid that he'll cry if he does.

"are you okay?"

are you okay was a very dangerous phrase when it comes to ateez. it broke wooyoung once. it broke yunho once. this phrase also broke hongjoong once.

hongjoong knew that it was a dangerous phrase, but he wouldn't be able to get mingi to open up if he didn't use the words. that must have been jongho's plan back then, to make hongjoong open up to the group.

as expected, mingi weeped. it was an ugly sight that made hongjoong's heart break. mingi was crying so much and his sobs sounded so heart wrenching.

hongjoong embraced the younger in a big, tight hug.

"it's okay, i'm so sorry,"

mingi continued crying in the elder's arms. he thought he felt better that way. being comforted by his hongjoong hyung.

this happened back in the predebut days. back when they were still KQ fellaz. mingi cried when he got stressed out over composing lyrics. he cried when he missed home. he cried when he got scared at the roller coaster ride at universal studios. he cried when they were told that a member wouldn't debut with them.

hongjoong never complained, hongjoong always held him in his arms, like that.

hongjoong looked at the upset member, not knowing exactly what to do to comfort him. mingi's exams were tomorrow and he definitely didn't need to be more stressed out the night before.

he rubbed reassuring circles around mingi's head.

"mingi,"

mingi was still crying, but the cries had quiet down. it was two in the morning, which means that the two boys have been studying for fifteen hours, continuously. he felt so tired.

"mingi, would ice cream make you feel better?"

mingi's eyes met hongjoong's for the first time in hours.

"i-ice cream?"

hongjoong nodded excitedly. he bought extras from the convenience store, afraid that he'll need them for emergencies like this.

mingi nodded, indicating that he wanted ice cream.

"can i get up, mingi?"

"yes,"

hongjoong ruffled the younger boy's hair, and got up to get the watermelon flavoured ice cream the younger always liked.

"hyung, you should get some too,"

"it's okay, mingi. i don't eat this late,"

mingi smiled at his hyung.

"mingi, what don't you understand?"

hongjoong knew he wasn't the best academically but he could try to help.

mingi started pointing at random diagrams and names from the textbook, and hongjoong helped with the ones he knew, and the ones he didn't know, he looked them up online.

"mingi, do you want to go to bed yet?"

hongjoong has never stayed up this late to study. he knew it worsen his performance if he did, but he wanted to help mingi when no one else could.

"yes,"

"good boy!"

the two boys then packed their stuff into the small backpacks they carried to college, went to bed, and cuddled until they fell asleep.