Reika-sama - 135

On the second day of our detox course, I followed Okaasama around. We went to a beauty salon, and then a ganbanyoku “stone spa” where we lay on heated stones. At the yoga studio I was ecstatic when the instructor said I was good at it.

Outside of our meals I never saw Maihama-san so things were more or less peaceful.

That night, Madam Kaburagi appeared to have dinner together with us.

I realised while I was eating that although brown rice and other cereals weren’t bad once in a while, eating this every day was a little much. I was thinking about the food when Madam Kaburagi changed seats to talk to me. Uu…

“Reika-san, how are you finding the current course?”

“The course let me grow familiar with natural foods. It has been a very worthwhile two days.”

“I’m very happy to hear you say that. You’re skinny after all, so you don’t need to diet, after all?”

“Goodness, that is not true.”

Thank you for the flattery at least. I know better than anybody what the state of my body is. It was so obviously flattery though that I couldn’t even feel good about it.

I gave her a polite smile.

“How are you planning to spend your summer break, Reika-san?”

“A summer study course at cram school, lessons as usual, meeting up with some friends. Just a few things. Oh, and going on a trip with my family, I suppose.”

“My, that sounds fun. Where are you going this year?”

“My mother is thinking of Austria. She wants to see an opera on the water.”

Okaasama enjoys things like ballet and opera because she loves being immersed in worlds that are beautiful and fantastical. As to be expected from the woman who tried turning her daughter into a bisque doll.

“My, what a wonderful time that would be! I’ve been to see the Seebühne as well, before! It had incredible impact. Do you like opera as well, Reika-san?”

“Whenever we were in Europe, my mother would take us to the theatre if anything she liked was playing. I am ashamed to say that although I enjoyed myself each time I am not very familiar with opera in and of itself. I do understand that I would enjoy it more if I had a deeper understanding, but…”

“Well that’s not true! I think simply opening your heart and enjoying it the way you do is much better than going in there to analyse and evaluate it. Which operas do you like?”

“Although this is quite a mainstream answer, I like The Magic Flute and Lohengrin.”

“You like Lohengrin? Then what about Tristan and Isolde from Wagner as well?”

“It was very passionate.”

“My!” she smiled.

We continued to talk about opera for a while when she clapped her hands together.

“Oh, that’s right! I’m organising a firefly catching event. Please do come! I know you like fantasy worlds so I think you would definitely enjoy it!”